1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can internal drive be made external?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by fishbulb, Apr 7, 2005.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

well, that's basically the question. i saw a lite-on internal dvd-rom drive at kmart for (i think) just over $30. i don't want to remove either of my other drives but would like to have a dvd-rom drive to reduce some of the wear on my dvd+/-rw drive. so is there any way possible to convert and use an internal as an external?

2. Argg

Argg Regular member

Well there are kits that you can put internal hard drives into to make external. (Which are friggin expensive.) But I never seen a dvd Rom Kit. You dont' have room for 2 DVD drives?

3. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i have 2 drives. one is a cd-rom and the other is a dvd/cd writer. i only use the cd-rom to rip cd's which i don't do very often. i use the writer constantly to rip and burn dvd's. i don't really want to replace the cd-rom drive since it is practically still like new because i hardly ever use it. but i would like to have a dvd-rom drive to use to rip my dvd's to keep from using my dvd writer so much. hopefully that would make it last longer. i don't want to buy an external because they are so expensive. i'm all about saving money whenever possible. that's why i wanted to buy an internal in the hopes there would be a way to fix it to be used like an external. but even if there is a way, it probably would end up costing as much as an external anyway. :-(

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

use the dvd-rom drive to rip both cds & dvds

5. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i know i can use the dvd writer to rip and burn cd's and dvd's. that's what i do. but i also wanted to get a dvd-rom drive to use only for ripping and possibly playing my dvd's.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member