1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Nero 6 Convert Avi files to a DVD?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by smitnlit, Feb 24, 2007.

1. smitnlit

smitnlit Member

I've been reading old threads but can't find any referencing Nero 6. I have 6 and when I try to follow the instructions from the other threads (VERSION 4) and other versions the area that I get hung up is when I am clicking "MORE" the option to create chapters automatically isn't there. So I try to "Add video" files. I have to change the default DVD-Video file types (bup, vop, ifo) to *.*All files to even find the Avi files. When I select them I get an error message;
    NO COMPATIBLE FILE FOUND.
    Anyways, is there a way to convert AVI files in Nero 6 to DVD?

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Too much information, try pinning your problem down some.

You are using NeroVision Express 3? When you browse and add .avi files they are not recognized?

Do you know what type of .avi files they are--DivX or Xvid or whatever?

I don't use Nero 6, but I believe it does normal .avi files.

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

4. smitnlit

smitnlit Member

Ahhh...That explains it. I have an OEM version which came with my system when I upgraded to XP. It's V6.6.0.15 OEM Suite. Can I still click one of your links and "clean" it and have it work?

5. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

Is the clean tool the reason why its taking so long to encode my DVD? I just just making DVD from a xvid file fo rthe first time. Its been running for 30 min and says it has 8 hrs left!!! Is there somehting I can do to make it faster? Does it have anything to with my CPU beening about 6 or 7 years old? AMD 799MHz and 512 MB of RAM

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

@ smitnlit

The encoding codecs are only in the retail versions iirc. You can probably download and install 6.6.0.18 in trial mode from the links provided. Here's another link to a trial version as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_nero_burning_rom/?539

IMO Nerovision isn't the best AVI to DVD converter. It has lots of post conversion features though and if it works, it's great. VSO's ConvertXtoDVD is probably a better converter, although it watermarks its output in trial mode. Nero, even in trial mode, is fully functional.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

@ pmaknelho

I think your CPU speed is the primary contributor to your slow processing time in your case. The conversion is computationally intensive. The size of the file being converted and the bitrate (video quality) are the other factors. How long does it usually take to compress a DVD if you use DVD Shrink?

8. smitnlit

smitnlit Member

I downloaded the 6.6.0.18 version and I still have the same problem. I get NO COMPATIBLE FILE FOUND.

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The only thing I can think of is that there's something off with the AVI that Nero can't overcome. Can you play the AVI file without problems on your PC?

Have you tried to see whether ConvertX (linked above) can convert the file. If it also has problems, the file is likely a nonstandard/corrupted divx or xvid file.

10. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

HELP!!! OK so I went to Costco came back noticed it smelled like something was burning. My CPU continued to shut down and restart. I let it rest for a few hours and its now making funny noises. Does this mean my motherboard is dead, power source?? Did encoding cause this? How can I still be on the CPU?

Any advice on buying new parts to build an inexpensive tower with everything I need (encodeing, downloading, burning, listen to music, and playing poker all at once). thanks

11. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Sounds like it overheated due to the processor load. I'm guessing the sound would be a fan bearing or power supply fan if the hard disk is still working. Shutting down is probably due to heat, motherboard or power supply short/failure. It may be the case your excessive processing times were due to a bad processor.

If you're building your own, get a decent quiet case like an Antec with several cooling fans and a hearty quiet power supply (400-500W). Next step is to decide on the processor. The newer processors, both Athlon and Intel are dual core. The Intels are a bit faster but the Athlons are cheaper. The processor choice will determine the range of acceptable motherboards. I'd go with SATA for the drive bus but if you have legacy ATA drives, get a combo board that has both ATA and SATA buses. Most boards will have a number of USB2 and at least 1 Firewire ports. I don't know where you're located, but most parts can be obtained relatively cheaply online as opposed to visiting a brick and mortar.

If you're in the U.S. or Canada, deals on parts can be found by visiting bensbargains.net. I buy a lot of stuff from newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com, frys.com, geek.com, and shop4tech.com. MB and processor reviews can be found at TomsHardware.com and motherboards.org.

12. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

Will it continue to overheat if I try to encode the divx? or is it time to get a new CPU. I'm on right now and everything seems to be working OK. I'm going to try and run Nero again and see what happens. I've never built a tower before, but since my CPU is probably more like 8 or 9 years old I've had to upgrade and replace parts in the past Ex: USB port, power source, internal DVDR drive ethernet card etc. Is hard to build a tower?- the reason I ask is because I have friends that work for CDW and Best Buy and they can get me a discount on new CPU (monitor,keyboard, bells and whistles etc.) Can anything else be saved from my old tower besides the DVDR drive? 1GB of ram or 2? Thanks for your help laddyboy. I guess that since my problem has now changed-lol :-( I'll post this in another forum and look for a "build your own tower" guide. I live in the Chicago land area.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  13. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I don't think your RAM will be salvageable because the newer MB/processors require faster RAM than the very old systems. You definitely need a new system. Building your own isn't really difficult. You often end up spending the same or more than buying a system already built/configured. The difference is that you control the quality of what goes into the system and get whatever you wanrt. You can build one for $300 or $3000. Once you have all the parts, it's fairly easy to put together.

14. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

what would it cost to build a tower that can encode, download, burn, listen to music, watch my college webcast class and playing poker all at once? I dont understand processing speed capabilities or how much RAM it would take?

15. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

It really depends on how much you want to spend. I will just say that it isn't a good idea to multitask while burning DVDs.

If you want a quality system, It's going to cost several hundred dollars. A dual core processor and motherboard will be in the range of $200 minimum (and that's nowhere near the fastest processor nor the highest quality). Memory will run around $100 per GB. Add another $200 for drives and miscellaneous, maybe more if you need to purchase an OS will you probably will. I think Tom's Hardware has an article on $300 build systems and their performance.