1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can not burn to Dual Layer

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by steff3, Dec 31, 2004.

1. steff3

steff3 Member

orinally posted as reply in another thread but no response.

I am having trouble burning to DL. I have a new Dell Inspiron 9200 2.0 P-4 Mobile proc. 100 GB HD 1 GB ram. Nec 6500A 8x DVD RW that supports DL
    Using Nero 6.6 w/ Decrypter. (even tried Sonic, same results) Last few lines of burn error:
    6:48:06 PM #38 SCSI -1065 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1176
    SCSI Exec, HA 1, TA 0, LUN 0, buffer 0x0A236000
    HA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)
    TA-Status 0x02 (0x01, SCSI_TASTATUS_CHKCOND)
    Sense Key: 0x05 (KEY_ILLEGAL_REQUEST)
    Sense Code: 0x20
    Sense Qual: 0x00
    CDB Data: 0xC9 0x02 0x02 0x01 0x42 0x54 0x59 0x50 0x45 0x00 0x00 0x00
    Sense Data: 0x70 0x00 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0A
    0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x20 0x00

6:48:06 PM #39 CDR -1046 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
    Illegal disc
    _NEC DVD+-RW ND-6500A\H1 T0

6:48:06 PM #40 TRANSFER -24 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
    Could not perform end of Disc-at-once

6:48:06 PM #41 Phase 38 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 276
    Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s)

6:48:06 PM #42 Text 0 File AudioCompilationImpl.cpp, Line 867
    DRM: DRM burn session terminated.

6:48:06 PM #43 Text 0 File AudioCompilationImpl.cpp, Line 896
    DRM: Closing entire DRM handling. Bye.

Existing drivers:
    File 'Drivers\ADPU160M.SYS': Ver=v3.60a (Lab01_N(johnstra).010529-2218), size=101888 bytes, created 8/17/2001 12:07:32 PM
    File 'Drivers\PXHELP20.SYS': Ver=2.03.16a, size=20576 bytes, created 8/2/2004 12:03:00 AM (Prassi/Veritas driver for win 2K)

Registry Keys:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

I have tried three differant times to back up Collateral Damage but when it gets to the write stage I receive an error that the media is not compatable.
    Have even tried as ISO but get an error I/O. E 17:55:42 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

Should note that 4.5 DVD +/- burns fine, as does CDR.

Using Ridata +R DL disc.
    Any thoughts?

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Deleted, because I am incapable of reading properly!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Pulsar, The very 1st line of the article you linked to says it is a dual layer burner. So the problem has to something else. Steff3 you say you are using Nero and Decrypter. Have you tried JUST Decrypter for the complete process. Since you are using dual layer Decrypter should do the complete rip and burn from start to finish.

Jerry

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

deleted, sorry!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  5. steff3

steff3 Member

Jerry746
    I did try just Decrypter as ISO with the same results. I have also just tried Verbatim media thinking maybe the Nec ND-6500A was having a problem with the media I was using(Ridata), and did get a successful burn, however the movie freezes and there is a popping noise in the background on the rear channels during playback on my stand alone DVD player.
    At least I know the burner does work, now to figure out how to get a cleaner burn. DL media is very exspensive at this point so I certainly want to avoid coasters as much as possible. I am now stuck with five Ridata DL disc that my burner does not currently seem to like very much.
    Thanks for your input, this forum has helped me more than any other support option I have tried to date.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Just some friendly advice, try not to multipost, as the mods get a little annoyed sometimes and give you a little repremand...........but with it being New Year I am sure they will not be too harsh......LOL

Anyways, I posted a response in the other thread but shall bring it here.

HeeHee, you certainly don't hang around............got the bug and no way of controlling it now then eh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to hear a change of media gave you a successful burn.

The freezing/popping may be due to slight corruption on the original (easy to check for that).
    Could be down to burning it at max speed (2.4x), I only burn my DL at 1x to eliminate possible transfer issues like that.
    Maybe due to the software used to create the file structure, check it out buy playing the files that are on your hard drive (before the burn).
    If you used DVD Decrypter to create an ISO, I think a program called 'Daemon Tools' can allow you to 'mount' (play the ISO, but not sure as I have never tried it)
    May just be a slight hiccup between the layer transfer from one layer to the other during playback.
    Or may even be down to your ROM or standalone having trouble with playback.

I would shoot for slowing the burn down if you can, and see if that helps any.
    Then maybe trying an alternative method to produce the correct file structure.

See how you go on anyway, and a Happy New Year to ya'.............

Just use this thread to respond to in future..............ciao....

7. steff3

steff3 Member

Baabaa

My apologies for the multi post, it will not happen again, thanks for the advice.

Also, thanks for the advice on burn speed. I will give that a shot. I was thinking that 2.4 X was not that fast that it would cause a problem but then again, I am new to DL.

After my first successful burn the disc froze up 1/3 into the movie in my stand alone player and when I put it back into my computer it would not recognize the disc again???

I will try uninstalling Nero with their clean tool; Dell is also sending me a new drive so we will see.

BTW, yur right, no way to control it now...lol

Happy New Year back at ya!

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

New Years greetings.............

Yep, Presently, double-layer (DL) DVD drives burn DL discs at 2.4X, which equals a data transfer rate of about 3.32MB per second.
    Approx 8Gb should take 40 minutes to burn. Due to overhead and other variables, the actual burn time is approximately 45 minutes.(just a rough time and not exact).

As DL media is very new, it has not been as 'road tested' as the single layer predecessor so therefore there will be issues, especially with the actual reading of them.

eg, I have a Philips standalone dvd recorder which is only 13 months old, but will not read ANY DL media.
    Philips are not going to introduce any kind of firmware to support DL media for my model - therefore I am not a happy bunny...........so it looks like a new standalone for me...................:-(
    However my other standalone player (cyberhome 402) plays them perfectly (they have been burned at 2.4x), but in my friends standalone (LG model) they play but have freezing issues similar to what you are describing.

I know you mentioned that the successful one you burned will not be detected in your burner, but if you have a seperate dvdrom (you have access to) and it plays flawlessly in that without freezing/skipping, then the burn has been successful and would point to a possible issue with your standalone and it's ability to read the DL media.

Hope you get there, and drop back in if you have anymore Q's.

And [bold]Welcome to Afterdawn[/bold]