1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can Remote desktop be used from any computer?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by gibbey531, Jan 24, 2008.

1. gibbey531

gibbey531 Member

I just set up remote desktop on my pc here, and i was able to successfully log into it from our other pc hooked up to the same router(no network is set up) I'd like to be able to access my computer from our school computers, as sometimes i do not get everything i need on my flash drive. I was wondering if i would be able to get into my computer from the school computers, which have their own network setup? basically i'm wondering if it is really possible to access my computer really from any computer with internet?

thanks

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  3. nchokas

nchokas Member

There's a free web-based service that I use. It's really good if you just wanted fast, free remote connection to other computers over the internet. It works automatically even if you're behind a firewall.

http://www.logmein.com

4. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Since you're using your school's computers you're probably not allowed to install software, which would eliminate most of the solutions. Try the following at school.

1. Press the Windows Key + R (This will bring up the RUN box)
    2. Type "mstsc" without the quotes and press OK (Microsoft Terminal Services Client)
    3. If the Remote Desktop Connection window pops up, then you should be able to connect to your home computer, but if the school blocks this application from running, then you'll have to look into some of the web based solutions.

If you are able to get the Remote Desktop application to run at school, let me know and I'll walk you through setting up your computer at home to allow you to connect. You'll need to configure your router to open up the rdp port (3389) and you'll either need to setup a dynamic dns client, pay for a static IP, or simply write down your WAN IP before you go to school everyday. I won't go into details unless you're able to run MSTSC, so try that first.

PS - Depending on how the network is being administered, it's possible that mstsc will work, but that the required ports for rdp are being blocked. If that's the case, then you'll still need to look for a web based solution.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  5. mickK

mickK Regular member

You would be able to use remote desktop to remote into your computer from anywhere. But the problem is you won't be able to connect to your computer from anywhere because your behind a router. If you want just connect the net connection directly into your PC and then you can use the IP adress that way to remote in from anywhere

6. nchokas

nchokas Member

logmein.com works through routers and firewalls. I use it now. It's nice.