1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can share files but not printer

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Red1Golf, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Red1Golf

Red1Golf Member

Ok, some background:

I have a desktop running Windows XP Media Center. It is connected to a Linksys router via cable. I have a laptop running Windows Vista, it has a wireless connection. The printer is installed on the desktop. I have setup the two computers for file and print sharing. I can transfer files back and forth but when I try to print using the laptop, I get the message "cannot communicate with the printer". The printer shows up on the list of network printers. Please help!!!!

2. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

I know this is a dumb question, but have you go on your printer settings and share it? also try to install the printer again on the laptop after make sure is properly share. Good Luck.

3. Red1Golf

Red1Golf Member

Yes my printer is shared. Let me correct one thing I said before. I get the "cannot communicate with printer" when I am trying to install the printer on the laptop, not when trying to print. Sorry. Again, the network recognizes the printer, I just can't get the laptop to install it.