1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can some one explain what blu ray is?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by jiggles, Jul 28, 2007.

1. jiggles

jiggles Guest

i have no clue what it is or when it came out i dont know any thing bout it so can some one please explain to me what it is

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

it is a new format of disk and it holds a whole bunch more stuff, but if you want some more in depth about this, google blu-ray and you will find enough to make your mind numb

3. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

It is a new format that is also high definition 1080p resolution. In order to play discs you have to have a bluray player.

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Blu-ray is one of two formats that use a blue-violet laser instead of a red laser to read or write optical information on a disc. The laser, very near the ultra-violet range, has a much smaller wavelength of 405 nanometers compared to the ruby red, 650 nanometer wavelength of lasers used for DVDs. (CDs use a near-infrared laser of 780 nanometers. Remember the rainbow colors--red is at the low end of the visible spectrum; violet is at the high end of the visible spectrum.)

The smaller wavelengths allows smaller pits and smaller tracks on a disc so that more information can be molded into the disc. Blu-ray data discs came out about three years ago, before the video version. Sony planned to use MPEG-2 compression, the same as that on DVDs, for high definition video; and that meant packing as much information on a disc as was possible. To do that, Sony moved the laser as close to the disc as possible and moved the data information to the very bottom of the disc. The risk of damage was minimized by the use of a cartridge; but when Panasonic's DVD-RAM was hindered by its cartridge, Sony decided to get rid of the cartridge and coat the bottom of the disc with a thin layer of hard coating using microsilica and flourine.

Toshiba and NEC, on the other hand, figured that using the more efficient MPEG-4 encoding or VC-1 encoding would allow high definition video on a disc made just like regular DVDs, with the data stored in the middle of a 2-piece plastic "sandwich." Rather than develop special lenses and cartridges to squeeze out 25GB of storage, the alternate HD DVD could get the same quality of video with 15GB and use the same assembly equipment as that used for DVDs.

Sony's initial releases on Blu-ray discs used MPEG-2 on 25GB discs and looked inferior to HD DVD releases using VC-1 on double layer 30GB discs. Now Sony has also switched to the more efficient encoding, and double layer 50GB Blu-ray discs are also beginning to appear. Any difference in video quality between Blu-ray and HD DVD is now more a result of differences in mastering than in the formats themselves.

5. jiggles

jiggles Guest

so basically its a cd or dvd with alot more memory then the old ones n they can hold hd format?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
  6. MechaHerc

MechaHerc Member

yes. new technology.. more space for more data

7. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

here is a way to sum it all up

blu-ray is the greatest f*cking thing there is

8. mellisito

mellisito Member

if blue ray is the best why sony is making hd dvd? like toshiba did
    toshiba dont make blue ray, only hd dvd

9. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

sony can still get money form hd dvd, and toshiba my friend, well they are a bunch of idiots ;P lol joking

10. club42

club42 Regular member

Boy do you keep having intelligent posts. Let me guess you are between 10 and 16 years old. I think its the fanboy's that are keeping the general public confused about
    HD. JoeRyan, thats the best explanation I have heard yet. I think I'll print that as I still have a lot of friends confused about HD formats.

11. mellisito

mellisito Member

that why hd dvd from toshiva is the best,,becouse they do what they have to do
    no capacity ,,,cuality and more