1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by KWoody34, Feb 8, 2007.

1. KWoody34

KWoody34 Member

Hey, I've been having a lot of problems with my backups lately.
    I noticed that about half of the games that I tried to backup would either not start, or would freeze at a specific point such as a company logo screen, opening movie, or a specific point in the gameplay. I thought that it was my ps2 that was the problem so I tried cleaning the lense. When that failed I bought my friend's ps2 and put the fliptop on that. I'm having the same problems with this one too. For example, I tried backing up Death By Degrees today. At the same point in the tutorial the game will go to a black screen and stay that way.

I thought that maybe my ISO file sizes were too big. But then I read usually they only have problems 4.36 GB and up and I'm having problems with games in the 3 GB range. I even tried Activision Anthology today and that is only 1.34GB. It simply said it isn't a PS2 game.

I'm using Maxell DVD-R's which are listed under the best types of media in the stickied thread. And I am burning with DVD Decrytper (the common read and write method) at 1x. I've also tried 4x and I get the same result.

This is pretty frustrating and it would be pretty much amazing if someone here can help me figure out what is going wrong.

2. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

How are you copying these games/ or burning? How fast are you burning? What software are you using?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  3. steimy

steimy Active member

Well, it could be a few different thinngs.
    Could be that even though the discs you have are listed as top quality media, either the PS2 or burner just has a problem with them.
    you can try looking on the internet to see if there is any updates to your burners firmware which would help with media compatibility when burning them. If it is the PS2 that has a problem reading them then trying another quality brand like Verbatim would be a good first step.

If they are 8X discs then 4X would be the best speed to burn them.
    If they are 16X then 4X should still work but i know people who have had to burn those at 6X or 8X to get them working correctly.

And Maxcell is listed under several media qualities, the only way you can tell is by getting the media ID with a disc ID utility which you can find here:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    when you get your ID then check it against the list to know for sure what quality your DVD's are. Different companies will have others manufacture their discs so you may buy a brand name but not always be getting the same quality discs.

PS- worst case is that your burner is just worn out and not making good copies. Happened to me after about 2 years of abuse on my Sony DRU-700A

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  4. Tru_dz

Tru_dz Member

try diferent media cause the problems u seem to be having have the symptoms of bad media maybe your ps2s are alergic lol