1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone help me

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Nrth16, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

I as given a very old computer to mess around with but i need to re install windows 95 or 98 via a floppy disk. does anyone know where or how i will be able to save the operating system to a floppy? thanks for the help

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

No way to fit it on one floppy. I think that there were 10 floppies with 95, and I never saw 98 on anything but a CD.

3. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

thanks for the try, it does have a floppy and cdrom drive but i cannot get it to switch to load from the cdrom instead of the floppy in the settings. Its like not an option or something?

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You need to get into the BIOS to change the boot up sequence, so that the CD ROM drive is first in line.

5. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

yeah thats what i am talking about. when i get into the bios there is no way of changing the boot up sequence. I tried holding shift and then hitting the plus minus key but nothing. I dont know how to change them. Unless there is a secret or something that i am missing

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you have the win95 or 98 cd? if so do you have a win95 or 98 bootdisk with cd-rom support on it?

7. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

I have an upgrade version cd of windows 98 that they gave me with the computer but i have tried to put it in and all it keeps tellme me to do is restart the computer so then i do that and it tells me i need to reinstall windows. it is a yes or no so i hit yes but then it asks me to restart again over and over. I called this afternoon a local computer store and they also told me that i have to switch the sequence from Floppy to cdrom but i went into the settings mode and found where you go to change the sequence but they only give me one option that is highlighted so then i called back and they told me that i have to hold down the shift key and press either plus or minus to change and nothing worked. So i thought if there was a way to get windows 95 or 98 off of the internet but i guess that is not an option either. if only i could get the sequence switched i think it would work.

8. ddp

the thing is you have an upgrade cd not full windows cd so need an earlier version of windows before using that cd. also is possible that cd is not bootable especially as it is an upgrade.

9. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

i see. do you know if i could get anything from off the net?

10. ddp

not me.