1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can someone please help me with this DVD shrink msg

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by wildgal, May 1, 2007.

1. wildgal

wildgal Member

that I keep getting when I go to backup it keeps saying the current DVD size is too big please make sure that video is set to automatic compression. Which it is set to that, I have burnt the same DVD before and not seen this message and I can't work out what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

Try ripping to your HDD using DVDFab Decrypter, which will remove copy protection, then use Shrink to locate the files and burn to a DVD. Find DVDFab Decrypter here: http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

Or, while running Shrink and once analysis is complete, uncheck any audio streams that you do not want. This should free up space.

Lastly, you could re-author by just burning the main movie without menus and extras.

3. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Occasionally I have gotten that message on really huge DVDs when they (for example) have to be shrunk to below 50% of their original size and the minimum that the "slider" will go to is 50%. (I have Shrink shrink files to a total of 4,300mb rather than its default, so this happens more often than if I used the default setting, which is 4,400mb+? not sure.) In those cases, I can either (1) eliminate some extras or audio files or whatever to get the total below 4,300mb; or (2) shrink the files twice, the first time shrinking the files to 50% (getting the "dvd is too big" message and ignoring it) and the second run-through shrinking those shrunk files to, say, 90% or whatever it now takes to get them down to 4,300mb. That means, though, that the original DVD files are now shrunk 45% (50% times 90%), which means the quality might not be very good.

Don't know if this will solve your problem, but it has worked for me.

4. wildgal

wildgal Member

Thanks FFsp42
    I tried the DVD fab decrypter and located the file and it still says it exceeds the size limit
    The main movie is the only one I am trying to copy, its All Saints Series 1 Episodes 33-41 and its set on automatic at 54.8% AC32-CH Unspecified 250Mb
    and AC32-ch english 62MB
    there are no subtitles or anything
    can i uncheck one of the AC32-CH things?
    Thanks

5. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

This is just me but if i were you i would blank out the last 4 episodes with VoBblanker then process to create a new Video_ts folder and use that folder for shrinking if it needs compressed. then do the same thing over again but blank the episodes you left the first time.
    hope that wasn't confusing

here is a guide about blanking with VobBlanker
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/Guides/alkohol_guide6.html

Or better yet
    use DVD-RB with HC free encoder(or any encoder), for the best results as far as picture quality goes

Last edited: May 2, 2007