1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone tell me I've got this right before I buy anything?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by trick009, Feb 27, 2007.

1. trick009

trick009 Member

Okay, I've done my research - hopefully. However, I still want someone to confirm this before I go out and spend money on anything, because sometimes the internet lies to me.

What I want to do (really the only reason I'm looking PS2 modding) is play custom Guitar Hero 2 songs. Nothing else, really - just that. My plan was to purchase SwapMagic with the slide tool. I haven't found it explicitly stated, but I have inferred (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that Guitar Hero 2 is not a dual-layer DVD and so I won't have to refactor it to fit it on a normal, 4.7 GB DVD (which will be Maxwell, Taiyo Yuden, Sony, or Verbatim). The reason I'm going with SwapMagic is that it is cheaper than a chip, especially after cost-to-install (I've had a couple EE courses of soldering experience, but I don't have the right iron for the job and I'm still not quite comfortable doing it myself). Additionally, because I really only want to do Guitar Hero 2, I don't have need of the extra features a modchip would provide.

With the knowledge that I have a v7 fat ps2, is there anything wrong with my thoughts, and if not does anyone have suggestions of a reliable place and/or cheap place to get SwapMagic? Also, is SwapMagic illegal in the US (I know some mod chips aren't because they haven't been flashed with illegal firmware yet, but I wasn't sure about SwapMagic)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. steimy

steimy Active member

i do not think Swap Magic is illegal. I am not really sure what "custom Guitar Hero's 2 songs" are. But Swap Magic has 2 primary uses.
    1. play a back up copy of a game you burned
    2. play games from other regions

so if you are not doing one of those, or plan to start making some back up games, then i am not sure it would be worth it to even mod your system