1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone test this free way of modding?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by actually, Aug 16, 2007.

1. actually

actually Member

Okay, I wanted to find out if it was possible to mod a ps2 without paying cash, What's the point in saving money by getting burnt games if you have to pay for them? So here is the method

1. Burn the Memory card exploit onto a cd, have trigger disc, ect
    2. unsrew the screws at the bottom of the ps2
    3. open the ps2, and expose the cd drive.
    4, take the top off to expose the disc tray
    5, put it back on and put a semi, heavy object on top like a paperweight
    6. open the disc drive and put a ps1 disc in.
    7. when the playstation logo comes up on the screen, take the semi heavy object off, and swap cd's from the ps1 disc to the burnt disc with the exploit on it.
    8. install the exploit
    9. insert your trigger disc to start the exploit.
    10. do what you need to do, swap trick, ect
    11. remember to screw back the top of the cd tray if you use the knife trick, or you can swap disks this way as well.
    12. if the install for the mem card exploit is on a ps2 format disc, insert a ps2 disc in step 6 and swap in step 7 before the ps2 logo comes up, this is very difficult and you may need to try this about 20 times before it works, but you only need to do it once before the mem cerd explot starts and then you can play burnt discs using the mem card exploit

can somebody try this to see if it works? because if it does, thats a good free way of getting your'e ps2 modded, and then you can do all sorts of stuff like play a snes emu and such

thanks

2. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

seems like a hassle to me when the swap magic is cheap by itself.

3. actually

actually Member

Swap magic isn't made anymore, you have to buy it off someone, i would have bought it myself if it wasn't for that.

4. LIAMAZAEL

LIAMAZAEL Member

Swap Magic IS available! Google it. I paid 35 usd for a set.

5. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Not only dangerous to both you (risk of electrocution) and your PS2 but it seems like a lot of hassle. Your better of with swap magic.

6. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

not to mention looking at the laser will blind you or damage your eyes badly

7. i_am_alex

i_am_alex Regular member

You can use special rubber gloves/boots to ground the electricity. But I don't wanna risk my Ps2.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  8. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

It will still fry your PS2.

9. xdgen84

xdgen84 Member

For what you're risking it would just be much better to buy Swap Magic

10. bzboarder

bzboarder Guest

why would you want to stick a heavy object inside your PS2? just seems like youre asking for more problems than its worth. but if you still want to try, why not let the rest of us know if you got it to work.

11. actually

actually Member

okay,
    1 I never said swap magis in not available, i said it just wasn't made
    anymore
    2 you place a heavy object on your ps2 not in it
    3 there is vitually no risk of electrocution, because steps 2-7 are exactly the same thing to a flip top lid
    4 You don't even need to do steps 2-7, I found out later that you can just swap the discs using the knife trick at the boot menu where it shows your memory card and whatever disc you put in. I tried this once, it worked so the modding process actually does work, even without opening your ps2

12. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

What are you talking about? Swap Magic 3 is still made and sold.. and when you tried the knife trick didn't you hear your laser go nuts? Doing that again and again is not going to be healthy for your PS2 at all.

13. Claret85

Claret85 Member

ignore all them man.

you might have really helped me, im trying to play backups for as free as possible right now, til i can afford SM3, so im gonna give this a try.

ill let ya know

14. Claret85

Claret85 Member

okay, it seems like it wants to work, to a certain extent.

i can get as far as swapping the PS1 disc with the exploit disc, then screen goes black, then "Playstation" appears with SCEA under it, but it doesnt go any further....

did i screw up the exploit disc, or what? i got the 4 files, and the folder with boot.elf on it, burning in Nero...

any ideas?

15. actually

actually Member

There are a few things that might stuff up your ps2 boot disk/whatever. The aim of this is to get the cogswap.elf file (or similar) onto your memory card. When you download cogswap, it comes with some stuff that will play on your ps2 if you swap the disks at the boot menu, but it won't load cogswap onto yopur memory card. It will play though. Look up "memory card exploit ps2" in google and find one that loads files onto your memory card, burn that cd with the cogswap.elf int the file where you need to put it to load onto your memory card, it will say where in the readme probably. If you cant find one, ask me and I'll hive you a link to a bittorent file.

secondly, You need to make sure you edited title.db for your trigger disk, otherwise start again.

thirdly if the screen goes black when you play the disk with cogswap on it, that's normal, because there is no information on that disk to put anything on the screen. all it is doing is loading cogswap onto the memory card. when the screen goes black, leave the disk in for about 10 mins, just to be sure that cogswap has loaded onto your memory card and then take it out.

4. I hope you know how to use cogswap because it's just a little more complicated than S.M. but it takes a little getting used to this may also present problems

5. you need sufficient space on your memory card (about 4mbs) i think, but that's bull, you actually need about 1mb free space but 4mb buffer for cogswap to load, you can fill the other 3mb after you have loaded cogswap.

tell me if you have any more problems

16. Claret85

Claret85 Member

yeah, im using Tomb Raider 3 for my title.db

i got a bunch of loader programs, ive been tyrin everything, whats the preffered one?

so on me exploit disc, what .ELFs will i need? thats the part im still not sure on...

oh yeah, and it just froze at the black PSX SCEA screen, didnt load anything in...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  17. Claret85

Claret85 Member

i dont know, i dont think this works. ive tried a billions different ways to get it working, to no avail. it was a good idea though.

18. bvzxa

bvzxa Member

For which PS2 are you referring to....because slimPS2's can't run the MC exploits like the old fat PS2.

Now I have heard of ways to trick the fat PS2 if you don't want to use a flip top or slide tool. But the method you speak of is slightly vague.

Do you have instructional pics of this method?

19. actually

actually Member

It has to be the fatty ps2

The idea is that if the disc that loads cogswap onto the memory card is in ps1 format, then it can be swapped easily, either at the ps1 logo or the boot menu, if it is ps2 format then it's a lot trickier, you have to swap the disc at the ps2 logo, before it disapears. this is virtually impossible with the knife trick (i can do about a 3 second swap and it still doesn't work), even a flip top lid may not be fast enough

There is an alternative though, if you have or a friend has a slimline ps2, then you can block all three sensors (yes there are three, not just two) to trick the slim one into thinking the lid is open, it is easy to swap a ps2 or ps1 disc at the right time.

You're probably thinking "But the ps2 slimline doesn't run the memory card exploit" this is true, but it doesn't need to, it just needs to load it onto a memory card once on a memory card, you can put that mem card in the fat ps2 and cogswap works! you can then copy cogswap off your memory card onto all your friends memory cards and you can all play burnt games (cogswap will be part of the system configuration file)

The problem with cogswap is that you need to run the disc to put it on the memory card which is a burnt disk and cogswap is the program that is supposed to let you play bunt discs, if you can't play it the first time, well you're experiencing a very common problem.

Also, I don't have any pics of it working Because if you read the thread title it's "can anyone TEST this free way of modding" rather than "Here is a free way of modding" spot the difference.

20. bvzxa

bvzxa Member

running the memory card on a slimPS2 requires an Action ProReplay 3.36 or lower, and a USB card. No way around that. I know. I use Swap Magic to access my exploit.

I had a special made Ps2, custom see through blue case.

To use cogswap is simple. Load up your exploit, and then choose a high TOC CD or CVD PS2 game, and then follow the instructions.

As far as cold swapping, I wouldn't test it, especially on PS2 games, becuase you would screw up the laser.