1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can swap magic 3.6 boot dual-layer DVD's??

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Jupu1, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Jupu1

Jupu1 Member

If i have a backup of a dual layer game, can i play it with sw 3.6? I'm referring to GT4? But also can i boot any other dual layer's with it?

2. ps2source

ps2source Regular member

Nope.
    Not without 3rd party stuff like HDloader

3. Jupu1

Jupu1 Member

But can i assume that there is a swap magic, compatible with DL, coming some day??

4. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

It really hard to say for sure, i would like to think so but to be honest it looks unlikely. PS2 only has about a year or so until the next gen boots it out and to be honest there not really enough demand for a DVD9 capable Swap Magic. It all depends though the next while could see a massive increase in DVD9 games in which case possibly but with make do solutions out such as HD Advance, and ripping them to DVD5's i honestly doubt it a lot.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

no, a dl version of swap magic won't come out. Because of the way the ps2 reads dl games, you cannot even use a dl boot disc to get it to work.

6. MrTupac

MrTupac Member

hey how u guys doin, i just would like to know since swap magic 3.3 or 3.6 cant boot dvd 9's, is there any other boot disc that can?

7. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

thanks to toxics patcher a swap magic dvd9 boot is possible..

8. MrTupac

MrTupac Member

thanx, how can i get the toxic patcher, do i have to download it or order it?can u please explain to me how it works, thanx

9. MrTupac

MrTupac Member

thanx, how can i get the toxic patcher, do i have to download it or order it?can u please explain to me how it works, thanx

10. Jupu1

Jupu1 Member

So, if swap magic can boot dvd9. Is it possible to play gt4 which it backed up to dvd9? How will use the toxic patch?

11. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

the toxic patch is only for modchips that can boot dl media. Swap magic can't boot dl discs.

12. Jupu1

Jupu1 Member

so what does this mean? Am i able to play backed up gt4 with swap magic?

If i use the toxic patcher to make a dvd5 copy and boot that with swap magic and then when it freezes i'll swap the disk to dvd9 copy of gt4? does it work?

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  13. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

As sly_61019 has mentioned there is no possible way to boot Dvd-9 backups with Swap Magic,unless Swap Magic was made with a Dvd-9 game.The Swap Magic disc is a pressed PS2 game.If the swap magic disc was pressed with a Dvd-9 game,Dvd-9 compatibility could be possible.A long time ago there was another 3rd party named FreeLoader which made a Dvd-9 Swap Magic,as it was a long time ago and never was released alot of people don't know about it or probably don't remember it.They never released it,because it cost too much money to manufactor.When they went to press the discs they had problems paying for it.It is possible to have a Swap Magic Dvd-9 disc,but not likely anytime soon.The only way to make it is to have access to a press machine,because it has to direct boot.Without direct boot there is no possibility for a Swap Magic Dvd-9.If someone does actually make it and it costs as much as a game,I would buy it in a heart beat.They wouldn't lose money I think,and yes it would be better than a modchip.Swap Magic already is a safe investment for PS2,there is no soldering involved and it can't damage the PS2 as far as I can tell.I am not dissapointed with Swap Magic,don't get me wrong.I just think it is about time they press the Swap Magic disc with a Dvd-9 game instead of putting little features in it that can be done anyways.The only thing I have seen that can't be done so far is the USB option(they recently put it in on the newest version),this would have to come from the source of course.It is getting kinda ridiculous though how many upgrades Swap Magic has made and no Dvd-9 support yet.I haven't upgraded my Swap Magic discs for years now,because the upgrades are not needed in my opinion.The only thing I am waiting for is Dvd-9 support,once that is enabled for Swap Magic.Then I will upgrade it,but as for right now Swap Magic will lose sales because of this feature against modchips.Why can't they just press a Dvd-9 game to Swap Magic and sell it,is it that hard to do to be honest.I am sure people would probably complain about the price,but still as mentioned it would be better than modchips.It has the technique to upgrade,and no soldering or even messing with the bios of the PS2.Swap Magic hasn't even made the option of reading the second layer of PS2 games yet to boost the TOC limit.I can think of alot of features Swap Magic can add to make it the best there is,but actually there is no point in thinking about it.I truly think it won't happen,because look how long it has been and no Dvd-9 support.We are also talking about a cheap company also.They will do there best to save as much money as possible if they can manufactoring.

14. MrTupac

MrTupac Member

007 did u try using the dual layer disc with a patched ps2 game with swap magic?

15. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

load swap magic.

toc refresh with a dual layer game so the ps2 bios sees 2 layers. boot dl disc that has been patched and book type set to dvd-rom.

16. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

You can't TOC refresh with a Dual Layered game,because when you TOC refresh it only reads the first layer.

17. MrTupac

MrTupac Member

damn, now im confused 1 person saying it works and the other saying it isnt gonna work, but 007 did u actually try it to see if it works or did you just hear about the dual layer disc patch working for swap magic? I would like to know because, i have a lot of backup games that work perfectly but i would like to know how can i play dual layer disc with any other boot disc that ps2 have(other than swap magic)if not, do any one know how can i cut down the gigs on a dvd-9 game and make it dvd-5 so i can play it with swap magic,games such as(God Of War, Madden 2005 Collectors edition)?Thanx

18. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

Ive been told it works waiting on getting my hands on a dual layer toc refresh to try.

19. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Is there any way to test whether or not Swap Magic will even recognize a second layer? I have a Dual-Layer game (Xenosaga I) which I can try a TOC refresh with, but I have no way of knowing whether or not it's reading the second layer. And I don't have the cash right now to go out and buy DL media to try that out with.

20. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

There is a cdloader that will tell you what the size limit is,forgot what version it is.It is a older version,but try that out it will display the size after you refresh the game.Trust me on this though,no a TOC refresh will not work on dual layered games.They never implemented the function to read the second layer of a Dual Layered game.