1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the American Wii play Japanese Games?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii' started by DavGerm4, Dec 5, 2006.

1. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Regular member

I found this website:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-z3-49-en-70-1loc.html

and it has Japanese games for the Wii, and I was wondering if they would work on an American Wii. If you look at this page above the price it says NTSC|JP. Just want to know if that means that it will play on an NTSC system.

Thanks
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

the wii is region locked. you can only play games from the same region you bought you wii from.
  4. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

[​IMG]

it pretty much tells you there is won't work on any Wii outside of the asian market
  5. handsom

handsom Regular member

Nintendo has specifically stated that the system is not region-locked. There is a difference on PAL and NTSC, which prevents them from playing eachother; but no official region locking, since a recent case Sony suffered in has scared developers a bit from region-locking.
  6. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

@handsom

do you have any links with this information? at the moment there is a bit of a mixed bag of info on the topic. one official source states that it is Region Free, while another official sources states it's NOT region free.
  7. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

it is region locked

i have a japanese version of red steel and it wont boot sorry

8. lancerx

lancerx Guest

We need an iso a patch and soon that will be history :)
  9. dazila

dazila Regular member

Yes,Ja,Yeah
    it is resion locked.
    p.s wasnt nintendo who introduced region locking in the 80's for games and now they want it to be free thats funny!!!
  10. silver95

silver95 Regular member

@handsom

Nintendo originally stated it, but less than a few hours later retracted it, as being bad intel. The Wii -IS- region-locked.
  11. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Regular member

Thanks you guys for all of the info. I just read on Gizmodo, that it is Region Locked. Thanks anyway for all of the info...
  12. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

the only thing i find funny about this is that not only does the wii have to be hacked to fix region lockouts but what is even worse is the files that you download are tied to your wii console so if you console dies then you cannot copy super mario 64 and other titles to your other machine sucks huh

13. silver95

silver95 Regular member

Actually, you can. Just send it in to Nintendo when you buy a new one and they'll copy it over.
  14. jakewash

jakewash Member

Anyone care to explain what the differences would be for the wiimote and classic controller as they both are listed at Playasia and state for Japanese systems only. The Wiimote I could possibly see being different as the TV visuals could affect it but the CC?
  15. handsom

handsom Regular member

Classic controller is for VC games only, does not work with standard Wii games. And the Wiimote can be used with some VC games, but not all of them.

Although there has been some rumor that Super Smash Bros Brawl *MIGHT* use it, since the developers have recently stated that they feel the wiimote has no real use for the game, and might not be the best fit. But that's all purely speculation, based on some statements from a developer who loved beating around the bush, it seems there was still a lot of uncertainty.
  16. jakewash

jakewash Member

I know the CC is for Virtual Console games as well as GC games but at Playasia they have them in stock but it says only for the Japanese Wii, so what would the difference be in the CC for Japanese compared to a CC for North America? I can't think of anything that should be different unless the Wiimote has a different connection for the Nunchuck and CC.
  17. handsom

handsom Regular member

It's probably more that they haven't actually *tested* them, and don't want to deal with the risk of returns; so it's a good bet that they probably *do* work.
  18. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Regular member

I agree with handsom. I do think that there wouldn't be a problem with a Japanese Classic Controller working with an American Wii. I really wouldn't understand how Nintendo would put Region Locks on Controllers, but I guess since it's Nintendo they could figure it out. But I think that you would be fine doing that.
  19. patricktm

patricktm Member

Hi all. I would like to know, the same theory, Japanese Wii Console cannot play American Wii games, is it right?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  20. silver95

silver95 Regular member

Correct. Region-locking works both ways.
  21. patricktm

patricktm Member

Thanks, Silver95.