1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can the v12 ps2 be chipped???

Discussion in 'PS2' started by king1, Nov 3, 2004.

1. king1

king1 Member

Hello! I recently purchased the new slim ps2, and want to get it chipped! I have been looking around and found that here are a number of mod chips like the DMS4 pro etc. I wanted to know which is the most reliable, best chip on the market for the v12 ps2. And also because I am from the U.K, are there any good reputable places where I can actually get it chipped.... in the U.K, or international sites that deal with the U.K. I.E chip the v12 ps2 if i sent it to them. I would be very grateful for any and all help. Thanks

2. MOJ0J0JO

MOJ0J0JO Member

Sorry mate,

UK law changed very recently. [bold]All[/bold] MOD chips for the PS2 that allow the infringement of copyright material are now illegal. Hence why you'll have a bloody hard time trying to get one in this country now. I don't think you can even import them either. The divineo websites in France/Spain and the rest of mainland Europe sell them, but if you try to buy it from them you'll find the UK it the only country they dont give you the option to ship to. Crazy I know!!! They'll ship to Barbuda, Erritrea they'll even ship to Iraq.... to but the UK, fraid not.

I have managed to get my hands on a DMS4 chip by other means, and it really is the best chip to buy. If you can afford the addtional coupla quid, then go for the Pro Model, it's got the best "future proofing" by the looks of it.

There is the alternative of the Swap Magic method, [bold] Dont, whatever you do, open the case and tape down both sensors[/bold]. I've been reading horror stories about it and it would appear that Sony thought like a hacker when they brought the PSTwo out. If you tape both lis sensors down, the console detects that the disc has been swapped without the lid opening and will render your console useless. It wont play any discs what-so-ever. Not even a production copy of a game that you buy off the shelf. It becomes totally f***ing useless. WWW.PS2NFO.com have tutorial on how to get round this, you have to tape over one sensor and solder a toggle switch to the other.

I was about to do this last night, I went out and bought some kynar wire, solder, a 1/4 drill bit, and a toggle switch, but after a while I though.... I'd much rather just solder in a MOD chip than have to keep swapping discs over and over with SWAP magic, gotten so used to it with the Xecuter in my XBOX, dont think I could stand having to boot and swap discs everytime I wanted to play a game.

The sensor toggle is probably the best option for people on a budget. The kit to do it will probably cost you less than £10-15 depending on wether you ahve a soldering iron... and SWAP MAGIC costs abotu £20.

There's a lot less to get wrong with the Toggle Switch and SWAP magic method. Cos if you try to solder in a mod chip and you're not too experienced with a solderng iron ... it'll probably cost you £90 for new console.... nothing worse than a malignant slip of the wrist with a soldering iron on a console system board. Your hopes of playing backup games goes up in smoke along with the Giant blob of solder that just fell off the tip of teh iron and landed on your PS2 main board.... your stomach sinks... and you look at your reflection in the mass of solidifying shiny metal that just fried your PS2.

So to summise.... DMS4 Pro is the best MOD no the marker. However, they are now illegal in this country.

Other wise, check out the PS2NFO lid sensor/toggle switch method and by yourself a copy of swap magic for £20.

3. king1

king1 Member

hello! thanks for the reply Mojojojo! all that info was great thanks. i can get the dms4pro chip.... and would like to know if you have installed the chip in your ps2? is it worknig? if it is could you please send me pics to show me how, where you installed the chip on the mother board. Thanks again for the help!

4. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

king1

when u buy the chip there is a very good chance that you will recieve adaquite installation procedures to follow.. i installed a MAGIC V in a previous ps2 model and i got the "walk-through" in it.. the best way to practive your soldering is to find some old pieace of metal or a pieace of flat wood, and with a fine tip marker place dots aroung the board. and practice placing solder(wire) on it... just as a little practice

5. king1

king1 Member

Thanks Vato! yeah i'v been looking around, mainly european sites, they havent got the instillation diagrams with the dms4 pro chip. I think maybe because they havent chipped the new slim ps2 yet, or are in the process of doing so. Therefore havent given any instructions on where to solder the chip on the board! if you or any1 does know of a site that gives instructions, with pics on where to solder the chip that would be great! Thanks again vato for your help!