1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can u backup ripit, shrink, etc.,

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dvdruthie, Apr 12, 2007.

1. dvdruthie

dvdruthie Guest

This is probably a stupid ? but can you back up these programs to a dvd or a flash drive or something? I had to have my hard drive recovered before and lost everything. Now with some of the best programs out there disappearing, I'm afraid of losing them. Or do you think there will be new ones just as good to replace them, like imgburn did decrypter?

2. dvdchick

dvdchick Regular member

yes they be back up with no trouble but the programs that did to be updated will need to be,like dvdfab,anydvd....

3. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Back them up on cd, flash drive, dvd or whatever. While many of the newer programs are being upgraded regularly, many are now discontinued...like Shrink, DVDDecrypter, RIPIT4ME. The discontinued programs are still very useful and are getting harder and harder to find to download....

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've got mine backed up on cd via nero6,and a jump drive. Very nice having them on jump drive,then I can let someone borrow it.

Dvd decrypter will fit on a floppy,but not many pcs have floppy drives anymore, LOL.

5. orion250

orion250 Regular member

You can backup your dvd tools (software) onto a cd or dvd using any burning software. You can also backup onto a jump or flash drive or even copy and paste your programs onto any memory card (Compact Flash, MemoryStick, SD, Xd, etc.) using Windows Explorer.

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Do you want to know something even more crafty than that??

Why not mail them to yourself (attachment) on one of those free email accounts.. somewhere like mail.com or fastmail.fm
    Then don't delete the email.. They will stay as attachments on the host server for as long as the account remains active, and you can access them from anywhere in the world!! Damn.. I'm sly ;-)

7. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Janrocks, thanks for reminding me. I did this months ago after I got my registration keys from SlySoft. They are still in my email account. I think I will start writing myself more often with attachments to keep for posterity....

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ah, emails, most of my knowledge lives in emails to myself, great for those 'can't find/can't remember' moments hehe. Trouble is i've been doing it forever so i've got detailed technical emails coming out the wazoo. Can never have enough backups of things though, usb drives, cd's, emails etc etc

9. orion250

orion250 Regular member

Janrocks-

As far as I know, some of the e-mail servers out there either purge your mail or close your account if your e-mail address becomes inactive or you don't log into it at least once every certain number of days (60 or 90 days) for example. I find it easier to just backup to a memory stick card. That way I will always have it and it can be transported easily. Most people don't know that you can transfer any software files, pictures, music files or anything that can be put onto a hard drive from the hard drive to any flash memory card that you would use with your digital camera providing there is enough space on the card to hold the files eliminating the extra expense for a jump drive.

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Ever needed something when you are using an old unix server with an internet connection but no usb/floppy/cd?

How about college computers that will allow download of email, but not files from the internet.. and no plugging of drives, running of disks?

I use this method for those files I need access to but which are not the best idea to carry around.. xbox bios files, and certain other things which will remain nameless *cough* 0day *cough*

There is one other big advantage.. the servers don't care how any files are formatted.. the same can't be said of flash drives.

It's not a problem to log into an email account every couple of weeks.. I have it added to a cron job every sunday morning at around 6 am.

11. orion250

orion250 Regular member

Good point, never thought of that. Like Creaky said, can never have enough backups of things.

12. orion250

orion250 Regular member

I read on another thread a while ago that Dvd Shrink 2007 was a scam. I think Pacman said that. I just noticed that Dvd Shrink 2007 was advertised within this thread. If it is a scam, does anyone know why it is advertised on Afterdawn? Just curious.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It's advertised because the ads were paid for. Money. Shrink was and still is a freeware program. The only money ask for is donations to help keep the DVD Shrink site up. http://www.dvdshrink.org is the official site. Here is the scam alert posted there.
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/scam.html

That should cover it. Shrink is free, Shrink 2007 is a ripoff scam. I can't sell Shrink, but do yuh wanna buy a rock? LOL

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  14. orion250

orion250 Regular member

So the "Shrink 2007" is the same exact copy of Dvd Shrink, just renamed 2007 and distributed for a fee or donation, right? I thought it was a different piece of software than the original Shrink and they were selling crap software that didn't work using the Shrink name. Thanks for the info.