1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we use TDK DVDS for backups?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by xHaydenx, Mar 31, 2007.

1. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

All my Backups are either Verbatim or Ridata, and they work fine, but my friend wants to copy a lot of my backups for himself.

We tried using a TDK DVD and we burnt Gears of War without any troubles. It plays fine. Now, if the TDKs work, then would it be alright to use them instead of the Verbatim? I mean, might we see problems later on with the TDKs, or might they damage or wear out the laser quicker?

It's a hell of a lot easier for my friend to go with TDKs.

any suggestions?

2. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

SOrry for the double thread, it wasn't appearing at first as usual so I tried another.

3. brandonba

brandonba Regular member

I wouldnt use tdk they are cmc mag, they are garbage at least they are cmc where i live in pennsylvania, id stick with verbs and sony and t yuden.

4. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

What's cmc mag? And what effect does it have on 360 games?

5. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

That depends, stick that TDK disk in your burner and start Imageburn? if the code displays (in the righthand side info panel) TDKxxx or TTxxx then you're fine.

for extensive media quality list:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

as you can see CMC is like 3rd class media, because the 360drives are really picky (or rubbish), there's a big chance that it will fail to read the games (over time) all the class 1 media will work fine, I got myself a batch of Sony dual layers with MKM001 code :)

6. brandonba

brandonba Regular member

cmc magnetics is a company that make cheap disks they dont last long and they would probley make the laser work harder in your 360. memerex and others like hp store brands are cmc do a search of cmc mag in afterdwn search

7. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

let me bust a myth for ya:
    not the fact that because they are crap they make your laser work harder, but rather when it fails to read first time, your laser re-trys and that's where the extra wear comes from.

8. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

My friend put in the TDk that we burnt Gears of War to and had a look in Imageburn and there was no TDkxx or TTxx anywhere. So I guess they're no good. He might have to order some online.

9. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

I use TDK DVD+R DL to back up most of my games,reason of that is because there's no Verbatim available over here and it's only in one week from now that one of my friend who's coming from UK will be bringing some Verbatims for me.All my backups play fine with these TDK discs and these discs code out as RICOHJPN.But if i had the chance i would definitely go with the verbs all the time even if the TDK has never failed on me.

P.S:Before i tried some Melody discs which to my surprise were coded as CMC Mag(crap!!!)and while putting them in my xbox 360 my machine wouldn't play them at all.

Vincent.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007