1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you backup dvd's to 2 dvd-r's?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Henry007, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Henry007

Henry007 Member

Hello, i recently bought the movie Gangs of New York on dvd and when using dvd shrink i couldn't compress the movie enough to fit on one disc, i took all extras off and put the menu on still pictures and the movie was at level 10, can i backup this movie onto 2 discs and if so what with and how?
    Thank you.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Not a good idea as there is too much compression. You need DVDXCopy then.

3. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

You can do it with DVD Shrink, you don't need to buy another program.

Click re-author, copy there the main movie title only. Then click start-end and put the end point to the middle of the movie. Click OK and back-up. Then go again at start-end and set as start point the middle of the movie and as end point the end of the movie. Back-up again in another folder and you have two discs ready to burn!

4. arakune

arakune Member

I have a similar question, only instead of splitting a movie at an arbitrary point, I have a DVD with multiple episodes. Each episode is a seperate chapter (and appears to have its own VOB file, although being newbie, I could be mistaken ;)

The afore mentioned way with DVD Shrink works more a less, but seems a little messy - is there another way about this, which would let me just select what chapters I want included in the new DVD?

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

What do you mean by messy? Shrink should allow you to delete the chapters you do not require before backing up.

6. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

I have never see this "each chapter a VOB file thing". Usually there are 2-4 VOB files of 1GB and a smaller one.

As Discmania said, you can select the chapter you want to start/stop with DVD Shrink so there is no mess!

If you want to use a program that does this job I'd suggest DVD X Copy or DVD Fab.