1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you Backup movies to Dual Layer Disks to play on a DVD player?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by s8nsch1ld, Mar 31, 2005.

1. s8nsch1ld

s8nsch1ld Regular member

Back when [bold]Dual Layer[/bold] first came out, I read that you couldn’t burn movies (to be played on a DVD player) on Dual Layer disks.

Is this still the case?

If you CAN backup a movie to Dual Layer disks, what is good software / hardware to use?

At the moment, to backup my films to DVD-r I use AnyDVD and Shrink DVD to backup to my Sony 14u.

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

3. s8nsch1ld

s8nsch1ld Regular member

Ok, so DVD decrypter can do it, but what about Shrink DVD.

Does anyone on here backup to Dual Layer at the moment?

EDIT: Sorry, I should make it a little clearer what I want. I'm not really into special features or menus. So what I want is a solution where I can take my original and backup just the movie to 1 disk. this works most of the time using Shrink DVD - but hits the 4.36 limit on larger films. I just need to know if I buy a Dual layer, will the films work?

Cheers S

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It will work with DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink, but IMO it would be useless to use Shrink because you wouldn't need to Shrink anything and Decrypter will do the job faster and easier for you. The biggest problem with Dual layer right now is the compatability of stand alone DVD players being able to play them and the price.

5. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

what movies are you trying to do. hitting the limit is rare for the movie only i did all the star wars movies and extended versions of lord of the rings and the movie as under 4.36 for all of them