1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you burn a DVD-R on a DVD+R drive?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rpgboy, Apr 23, 2009.

1. rpgboy

rpgboy Member

I've been trying to burn some backup PS2 discs on my DVD+R drive with blank DVD-R discs, and while the burning seems to go smoothly once I put it in the PS2 (via Swap Magic) it can't recognize it. However, when I try to burn the same DVD-R on an older computer with a DVD-R burner it seems to work fine. So are blank DVD-Rs incompatible with DVD+R burner drives? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I never thought there was really a difference.

2. rpgboy

rpgboy Member

I just checked the older computer and it's actually a DVD+/-R drive. On my drive it just says DVD+R DL.

3. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Regular member

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've never heard of a dvd +R DL drive only. If it's a real + format drive,it'd have to be 4-5+ yrs old and would spit out that blank disc before the actual burn.

It's just a compatability issue.One of your burners prefers plus and the other prefers dash. You can tell this by the players,game consoles,and other pc drives that give you a no disc error when the backups are inserted into them.

The real difference is between burners. What 1 burner likes,doesn't mean others like. Also certain MID coded media can give picky players fits. I remember a ps2 that would play Ricohjpn-R01 plus format verbatim,but not the MCC-002 plus verbatim,both in the same speed.Even in identical 30 pk tubs.Picky drives can tell a difference.

Check for the latest firmware version for your dvd-rw drive.

Certain burn engines can give that same error-try another.A picky drive can tell a difference. Also sticker labels can do that.