1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you convert bluray or hd dvd to dvd format

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by mclmn, Apr 10, 2007.

1. mclmn

mclmn Member

hi guys & gals. call me cheap and i guess i am, but ive spent lots of money on vhs & dvd movies And im not spending a bunch of money on a new player right now. ive heard the movie makers are going to start phasing out dvd format in favor of hd dvd or bluray. also read that spiderman 3 will only come out in bluray. si i guess my question is, can i convert a bluray movie to dvd format using a dvd burner, dvd software, and anydvd. sorry for the extended post. thanks for any help

2. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

You wouldn't even be able to read the disk without a BD player.

3. howy_2005

howy_2005 Member

even if for some reason you could...the loss of quality would most likely be HUGE....

4. mglez86

mglez86 Guest

i don't think you need a "player", unless you talk about a ROM for your computer, but i don't reallly call them player when it's for computer

5. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

The quality loss will not be huge. It will completely BLOW OUT any DVD that was ever made!!! You are taking a HQ signal and encoding it to DVD res which means you can use maximum bitrate!!!

Have you ever seen a DVD at 9400kbps video??? There is not a big difference between BD/HD DVD and Ultra High bitrate movies on DVD. It should even have a better picture than some early BD movies (up to a certain screen size).

The only thing against you is that you are using a previously encoded source. HD is usually recorded in D5, so that is already slightly compressed and then they are re-encoded into HD bitrate. The quality you can expect is in between Superbit and HD/BD. You will lose some fine details, but overall picture quality will be excellent!!

6. Nightport

Nightport Member

Anything that can play a Bluray disc is a Bluray disc player.

7. akaangus

akaangus Regular member

I guarantee that a group will release SM3 as a DVD-R.

Why buy the player? ;)

8. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Yeah, and that will actually hurt BD sales. They are probably trying to force people to buy a BD player with SM3... However, don't expect a SM3 rip on the net. AACS is still not cracked.

If they don't release SM3 on DVD do you know how much $$$ they lose?? How many people will buy a $700 player just to watch SM3? They are losing at least 90% of their sales by doing this... People should just boycott all BD movies so they don't screw us over by forcing us to buy a BD player for 2 or 3 movies...

9. akaangus

akaangus Regular member

I thought it was. Oh well, maybe we will see the first scene release of a TS from someone's living room!

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  11. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

12. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

anydvdhd WILL allow you to rip a bluray movie to pc, and take out the security