1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you convert ID3v1 to ID3v2 ?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ricster, Nov 18, 2004.

1. ricster

ricster Regular member

I'm looking for a tool to do a mass conversion of MP3's from ID3v1 to v2. Is there such a tool ? I've tried foobar but cannot see that it does it.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I don't think most people even know what ID3 tags are let alone have the desire to convert them. Thats my reason for why its hard to find a program that boasts mass conversion of v1 to v2 tags as a selling point (even if it is a feature).

Why do you need to do a mass conversion of all your v1 tags to v2? The v2 tags are more flexible but less compatible than v1 tags. Version 2 tags where probibly created to make it possible to convert between ID3 and other tag types? Its doesn't seem like its possible (yet) with any program. If you do find a good program that does tell me about it ok.

Thats a new one,
    Ced

3. ricster

ricster Regular member

diabolos - the reason is the 30 char limit on v1. I have a load of MP3s whose tag information is either imcomplete, incorrect or non-existent. Some had no meaningful filenames either. I spent a LOT of time going through them all and they all now have filenames in the form Track_no Artist--Title. I started to use Masstagger (in Foobar2000) to populate the tags from the filename but noticed that some of the info was being truncated. That's when I discovered the v1 limit. So I figured the solution would be to convert them all to v2 which doesn't have that limitation.

4. ricster

ricster Regular member

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Awsome ricster!

Thankz for sharing tha info,
    Ced