1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you copy from DVD to DVD+RW

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Woosh, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Woosh

Woosh Member

Guys and Gals! :p

I have a DVD drive and want to copy 'on the fly' to my DVD-RW drive.. is this possible???

I have been told varying stories...

1. Nope not possible
    2. If you first rip the DVD and then burn
    back onto media, you can then do 'on the
    fly' copying...

Obviously wanna get this sorted out before I start trashing loadsa expensive media! So a swift reply would be appreciated! :p

Cheers! :p

"obviously this is backing up all owned DVD's etc, I would never consider piracy! :p"

2. pipster

pipster Guest

If you could be bothered to make the slightest effort to look at the guides you could answer these questions yourself , do you think there would be guides on how to copy dvds if it was a case of slapping them in and doing it on the fly ?

3. mavilini

mavilini Guest

Also if you have a DVD+RW disc I don't think that you will be wasting media. It's erasable.. To quote pipster, "If you could be bothered to make the slightest effort to look at the guides you could answer these questions yourself."

4. Woosh

Woosh Member

Well dont fusking help then...

Jesus, the reason I am asking is coz nothing on this forum makes sense.. IF you aint got nothing helpful to say DONT fusking SAY ANYTHING!!!

Wot a bunch of TOSSERS!!!

Sorry we are not all DVD copying experts like you!

Jesus...

5. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

No need to be rude, you can all play nicely children.

Rules : Read forums, if no answer can be reached pose question and ask question so it can be understood.

Which do you have DVD-RW or DVD+RW? Your post refers to both.

Also, on the fly is for copying same format to exactly same format, ie without fiddling with bitrates, formats etc.

Do not bite the hand that feeds you. The outburst is not helpful, because if you persevere you will get the result you want.

So do this, tell us what you have (DVD-RW or DVD+RW) what you want to do, because your question is unclear (no I am not being fussy) and be nice.

If you can't be nice, you will be banned. We will help you, however, so be patient.

Paul.

PS and one the fly means direct from one disc to another disc via a buffer, this is obviously not the same as ripping and the burning, which requires more procedures.

PPS RW means Rewritable.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2002
  6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Direct copy from DVD-ROM to DVD+RW is not possible, if you're referring to DVD-Video discs, because they're copy protected.

You need to rip the movie to HDD and burn it back to DVD+RW, provided that it fits -- DVD+R/W can only hold 4.36GB of data and DVD-Video disc can hold 8.5GB.

loaded: :)

7. Woosh

Woosh Member

Ok, sorry for my outburst.. it was wrong... but it's just sooooo confusing... and annoying.. I have tried to read the forums but there seem to be so many variables it is untrue - and I know I am an idiot for rushing out and buying this kit.. but normally feel pretty good about PC's.. building, upgrading, running servers using VB, SQL etc.. but this is an ALIEN concept to me at the moment! :)

I have a CD+RW drive, the Phillips one.. :)

Ok, now let me pose the question properly! :)

If I rip a movie to my HDD (just about can do!) then edit all the crap out (think I can :p) then burn this edited copy back onto DVD+R media.. Can I then copy this disc exactly.. e.g. can I then make direct copies of copys? That was the real question... I understand that there are loadsa different formats etc.. eg double discs, double layers etc.. and these have to go on 2 discs if u cant cut the size down!

Ok, so the easiest program for beginers would be? As I am confused about the picture and sounds ? I understand u need 2 rippers and that is confusing me a little... seriously if you have never done before reading some of these posts is a little confusing to say the least...

So if you could recommend a couple of 'dummies' programs for me it would be much appreciated and clear up the copy of a copy issue... I sooooo do not want to get banned! :)

Thanks

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

8. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

If you have a once-ripped and copied DVD-/+R/W (correct way to tell DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW :) disc, that disc can be copied to another DVD-/+R/W by using direct disc copy or by simply copying the stuff from the disc to HDD and burning back to DVD-/+R/W.

And for other issues:

Easiest way to copy original DVD-Video to DVD-/+R/W is if the movie happens to be less than 4.36GB (including EVERYTHING on the disc) -- roughly 30-40% of the movies available. For this procedure we have a very short and easy-to-follow guide available at our article section:

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/

For DVD-9 (as the discs that contain more than 4.36GB of data on single side) discs, the procedure is complex and you should get a carton of cigarettes and start reading through our forums and doom9's guides for IFOEdit.

9. Woosh

Woosh Member

Hey dRD,

Thats superb, thank you enourmously! :)

Cheers!

I will indeed by a large crate of beers and smokes and sit down and read till my mind explodes! :)

I should imagine the best way to learn is trial and error... no shortcuts huh! :)

Sorry for being a complete arse eariler... not this forum just loadsa other things going wrong (non pc related)...

Cheers again for your help.. and (dont hold your breath though! :p) you never know I could 1 day end up helping someone out! :)

Woooooooooooooooosh

10. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

You can help us out by sending some of that crate of beers down here!

Seriously though, read through dRDs article and don't get stroppy again!

;-)

We all get annoyed sometimes. Stick around with Afterdawn and help others when you are up to speed!

Paul.

PS : dRD, you are in a charitable mood today....

11. pipster

pipster Guest

I dont mean to get clever with people but the guides on this site and some others are very good and without them I for one wouldn't have a clue where to start . The software we use for backing up DVD's is difficult to get to grips with and doesn't come with manuals so the people who produce these guides are doing us all a huge favour . If people dont use the guides it makes it very difficult to explain anything , you need to have some understanding of the process to understand the answers

12. Donald411

Donald411 Member

Hi all. Here are a couple of sites I've tried to burn DVD+RW. The first http://www.hkruse.dircon.co.uk/ , this method left me with good sound and bad picture as it was blocky on the faces, etc. The second was "DVD2DVDr for DUMMYs'" on this site http://www.digital-forums.com/dvd2dvdr/intro.htm , and I got great picture this time with great sound BUT the sound was off by like .2 seconds. I'm trying to figure that out right now..ANY SUGGESTIONS? You can apparently use only DVD Decrypter, IfoEdit, and Nero Burning ROM to burn DVD-9 to two DVD-5 discs with only the movie and have good quality. I'm still trial-on-error right now. I've also read in the forum that the first method I tried may have had problems becuase WarnerBrothers movies start interlaced and then the rest of the movie is non-interlaced which screws up ReMPEG2 (the program that shrinks the movie to fit on one disc); thus giving me the blocky picture.

OH..I used Nero instead of Gear Pro DVD with the second method, because Gear doesn't allow me to burn using my Phillips DVD+RW/+R burning and media. ALSO..I used the lates versions of all the software.

THANKS,
    Donald411