1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you guys please me? Can't make a working backup

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Kerdal, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Kerdal

Kerdal Member

I know this has been asked countless times before but I'm new to this, I've been reading posts during the last 3 days and it still doesn't work. I have a V4 PS2 with a duo modchip. I'm using a Toshiba SD-R5272 (Dual format 8X 4X 12X DVD burner) and various blank medias. (I have some Lead Data DVD-R 8x 4.7 GBs, some Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R 2X 4.7 GBs and some Maxell DVD-RW 2X 4.7 GBs) I tried using Nero 6.3.1.17 and the last version of DVD Decrypter and I always burned at the slowest speed possible (with DVD Decrypter I selected 1x but the program burned at 2x because it was the minimum for my discs). I tried backing up different games (Suikoden 3, Front Mission 4 and Psy Ops : The Mindgate Conspiracy to name a few) and the result is ALWAYS the same. With the DVD-RW I get a Read Disc Error and with the DVD-R I get the "Please insert a ps2 or ps1 format disc" error a.k.a. the red screen. I checked the soldering and everything was fine (I didn't do it myself, I asked someone in my family, an electronic technician, to do it). The lens is clean, the ps2 has no problem reading other discs (never tried to play movies in it so I don't know if movies on DVD-R work). I hope I gave enough information.

2. Kerdal

Kerdal Member

I tried some Memorex DVD+R and I get the same "Please insert a ps2 or ps1 format disc" error. Anybody have an idea of what I am doing wrong or what the cause of this problem could be?

EDIT : I tried burning a movie with my dvd burner to be sure it was good because I installed it only recently and never really tried burning anything else than my ps2 backups. I used a DVD-RW so the ps2 couldn't read it but my laptop's dvd drive and my father's dvd player were able to read it perfectly so I have come to the conclusion that the modchip is either deffective or there's a loose connection inside so I will try to fix that tomorow.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  3. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

would have to agree with you from what you say it seems to be a mod problem rather than a burning problem, do you have a friend with a modded ps2 that you can check your backups on just to make sure that they work

4. Kerdal

Kerdal Member

I did some tests and found out my modchip was not properly installed (one of the wires was not soldered). Now my ps2 reads the Memorex DVD+R and the Verbatim DVD-R but not the Lead Data DVD-R.

EDIT: Fixed some typos.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004