1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you identify installed modchip without opening the Wii?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by redinmtl, May 3, 2007.

1. redinmtl

redinmtl Member

I just had my Wii modded and i was told before the install that yes they use genuine wiikey. Unfortunately i didn't think to ask to see the chip first...
    Anyway it's installed and the Wii seems to be working fine but i haven't tried a backup yet. I'm just wondering if there's a way to tell what chip is installed, or at least if it's wiikey original or clone.
    I can't open the case because they put a sticker over it and if i remove it i void they're installation warranty...

Thanks!

2. bass_hit

bass_hit Regular member

The clones act like the original so really there isn't a way I know of to identify clones from originals without opening the unit.

3. Menion

Menion Regular member

from what I have seen i really wouldn't be all that concerned the clones are clones they work just like the original wiiKey would just like you to purchase theres and as well they made a statement they will not be doing anything to hinder the functionallity of the clones so as long as it works there really shouldn't be a problem

4. redinmtl

redinmtl Member

Thanks for the replies.

I honestly don't care inside there as long as it does everything i want it to (other than the fact that i paid more for a real chip). If it works, i'm happy. It most likey IS a real chip anyway i suppose.....

I was mostly concerned with updates, be it just program or firmware. Don't want to run some update and damage it.
    It seems like whether it's a clone or a real one i just treat it as a real one, do the updates etc. and i shouldn't have any problems. I won't know until i get around to making a backup tho i guess....

Thanks again!