1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you put softsubs on an avi???

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by o0cynix0o, Aug 14, 2007.

1. o0cynix0o

o0cynix0o Member

I've read plenty of guides. I've tried a lot of things. What am I doing wrong???? I used ImTooDVDRipper Platinum 4 to rip the video and two audio tracks, the regular audio and the commentary tracks. I rip the sub with SubRip. I get an .srt file. I take that file along with the video and two audio files and use AviMuxGui to put them together. I can use the stream selection on VLC media player to select the subs but they don't appear. Am I missing something I need to see them????

2. OneMember

OneMember Active member

Not sure why that happen...

So you first disable "immediately add audio sources" and then add the video stream, audio streams and last subtitle track?
    Did you select "All subtitles"?

Btw... Subtitles muxed inside AVIs aren't a good idea, why not let them be as .srt format?

EDIT: Have you test that will it help if you enable subtitles from FFDShow or use "load always" optinons in VobSub?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  3. o0cynix0o

o0cynix0o Member

The video track doesn't have any audio. And yes I selected all subtitles. If I let them be how would I be able to see them??? I am atempting to go for an avi movie with two audio tracks and soft subs is that even possible???

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If both the srt and avi have the same name, then most players will autoload them. In terms of PC playback there shouldn't be any difference, but in terms of hardware playback; external subs are actually more compatible.

Multiple audio streams aren't an issue, although in terms of playback some players might not recognise the second stream (mostly hardware players) and some players will play both streams simultaneously (crappy players like WMP).

5. o0cynix0o

o0cynix0o Member

So if I put the avi and the two audio tracks into AviMuxGui with the production subs named the same as the video, does the name have to be the same as the avi before of after the muxing is done???

Hypotheticaly speaking if put the resulting avi up for download would the people downloading the file be able to turn the subs on and off. Because thats what I'm aiming for.

I've got the dual audio down pat. Both streams are selectable, no problem there. I just need help getting the subs to work.

I'll try naming them the same as the video and let you know what happens. I hope this works cause I'm running out of hair to pull out!!! ;)