1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you recomend a device for me?

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by pconyers, Mar 28, 2011.

1. pconyers

pconyers Member

I work as a cable installer and am looking for a unit that will play .mp3’s (preferably some sort of flash media) and AM/FM radio to enjoy while I am out in the field. It needs to have a 3.5 mm jack, an easy to see and use display (but not doing video or anything), somewhat small in size and durable and able to take a bump and be used out in the elements as I work in some pretty hectic conditions at times. Any recommendations for me?

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im thinking mobile phone.the reason im saying mobile is most mp3 players dont have radio.my nokia has radio,usb slot,micro sd card slot,can play acc or mp3 files.the only downside about using my mobile is it requires the nokia headphones (which come with it anyway or $4.99 on ebay).

3. pconyers

pconyers Member

My phone does all those things except for AM radio. With all the sporting events and sports radio I would listen to I really want that. Any item out there that has AM radio too?

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I would look into a SanDisk Sansa Clip. They are small,inexpensive, decent player. They have a small screen will not play videos but that was not in your wish list. If you shop around you ought to be able to get an 8 g for about $50 on line. They just clip onto your cloths. My son has had a 2 g for a few yrs now. They are quite reliable.

A word of caution with the Sansas, use a syc app instead of drag and drop. If you continually use drag and drop you might have problems. You can't use play lists with D&D.

5. pconyers

pconyers Member

This looks like a cool little player but like all the ones I have seen it DOES NOT have an AM radio on it? Why do NONE of these little players have AM radio capabilities? Anything that DOES have AM and FM too?

Thanks!

6. Mez

Mez Active member

The you were looking at the wrong ones. The one I suggested has a radio so that is the one you should look at.

I will give you a link to make it easier for you to look at the right one. It olny has FM.

Mp3+radio

7. pconyers

pconyers Member

Again, I can find ones that also do FM radio. I am asking if someone knows of one that ALSO does AM. I'd like to listen to baseball games and such while working.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Due to you necessity of AM you need to stoop to a chipod. I doubt that you are going to find any AM radio cell phone. I say get a Fuse and an AM radio so you can avoid Chipods.

AM/FM Chipod

9. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

the best way to get an am radio is go in 1 of the cheapo shops (theres heaps near where i live).should be able to pick up portable radio with earphones for about $2-$10.

10. Mez

Mez Active member

Chipods are getting more expensive and hopefully more relyable but I still would not trust them. The telling is if you can get an extended warantee for one. The problem with a Chipod is if it does break you have no recourse. In the bad days they died within a few uses. Maybe now they could be good for a year, who knows.

Refeferbished Sansa devices are almost the same price as Chipods and are as relyable as an ipod. They are a great investment. Chipods are a gamble. You might check to see if the manufacturer has an presence out side China. If not, you will have no recorse if it breaks even if it doesn't work out of the box. They used to make Chipods with rejected parts. They would sell the players at whole sale 100 for 100 USDs. The retailer would send you another for shipping and handling if you sent back the broken one. Since they made 5-10 bucks on S&H they would send you as many as you would ask for, till you got wise.