1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you recommend a chip for me?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Pritt, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Pritt

Pritt Member

Hello!
    Can any of you guys recommend me a chip?
    I want it to be easy to install and i'm but sure if I need extra features.
    If there are any features that you think are cool can you explain them for me please? I read about the USB connecting on viper and wondered if there is anything cool I can do with it.
    Do the normal DVDs run on gamecube? Do I need the special case? Are the mini DVDs ok with normal dvd burners? I just tried to read a gamecube disc and it didn't work at all.

Is there any swaptrick for gamecube? That only requires orignal game disc.

Also is it possible for me to connect the gamecube to the PC and maybe stream games and other stuff? Maybe backup the memory cards saves.

I've read most of the sticky threads and used search funktion...maybe i'm not good at searching. I didn't find alot of information i'm looking for :(

Please help meeee!

2. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

They can but you need to get a case mod for you gamecube. and it still only holds one gamecube game because the lens on the gamecube only goes as far as the mini dvd disk.

Yeah they are fine with normal burners, except iono if you can use it in a mac, unless the mac can read mini dvds.

I think so but ive never used it

Viper GC EXTREME with USB Adapter is the one you want to get if you want to make backup of your gc games. see a normal dvd drive cannot read gc games. you have to use the Viper GC EXTREME with USB Adapter to make the gc read the disc, transfer the data to your comp, use that data to burn onto a disc to play on the gc.

if you want to connect to pc Viper GC EXTREME with USB Adapter is the best one for you to get.

if you dont care for features then just get the duoQ

www.mod-chip.com try this site.

3. OzMick

OzMick Guest

DuoQ is what I have installed. Is nice and simple to install, took next to no time to open and solder in. Downside is you can't use it to make backups, so you have to resign yourself to using another method to make them (a friend, the internet etc). It is extremely cheap though!

There is a sort of swap trick, BUT it will cost you a fair bit, as you need a copy of Phantasy Star Online 1&2 (original version) and a Broadband Adapter. Upside of that is that that you can make your own backups, BUT you need a computer attached to be able to actually boot anything. I started doing that back in the early days, and seeing as I had my own backups, the DuoQ was all I needed to play them.

The Viper can make backups and play them. It costs a bit more than the DuoQ, but should cost less than getting a BBA and PSO and is a lot more convenient. So you have three options:

1. DuoQ, for cheap, but no ability to MAKE backups. Traditional modchip, requires opening GC.
    2. PSO/BBA for most expensive, portable and fully functional but VERY inconvenient. Can share with a friend to make own backups though, and doesn't require soldering or opening console.
    3. Viper in between in price, does everything PSO/BBA, is way more convenient, but is a traditional modchip in that you can't share it with a friend.

4. Pritt

Pritt Member

awsome! Thanks for the replies!
    DuoQ seems fine to me, I don't think i'll back up many gamecube DVDs and burn them just to play them. I'll buy and keep the game if I like it, but mostly i'm going for the homebrew games...you know what I mean :p.

But is the viper chip only good for backuping up games? Aren't there any other features? I have DMS3 for PS2 and if I have a HDD I can do stuff with the chip. I can explore the hdd and play from dvd with another program. All games work perfect, just that I need a patch for dual layer DVDs that's all.

Are there any cool features on viper?
    Will DuaQ work perfect with all games? Will it read normal DVDs?

Thanks for the help! I think i'll be getting DuaQ if it can read dvds and works with all games, otherwise viper if there are other cool features. Thanks again!

5. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

if you go to the site that i provided it tells you the feature of each chip. the duo should be good with all most all games. i dont think there is a feature where you can use a hdd like the ps2. mostly the chips are for homebrew

6. OzMick

OzMick Guest

The Phantasy Star/Broadband Adapter option lets you play images from your PC's hard drive. The big but though is that the games are streamed, so some games just plain don't work well, particularly those with a lot of video etc. That said, it is still a pain in the ass to do. MAYBE the Viper can do the same thing, I think it used to be called Pheonix the program used to stream games, have a look and see.

7. Pritt

Pritt Member

Thanks for the help!
    DuoQ seems really nice. I don't think i'll bother with phantasy star stuff. I've seem the sticky post...it seems complicated.

I can get XenoGC for nearly the same price as DuoQ.

DuoQ costs 36$ and XenoGC 43$ here in Sweden, XenoGC seems really good and it can read multiple games from single dvd! That is if I understand it correctly

Here are XenoGC features:
    + compatible with all regions & all versions
    + direct boot of DVD+-RW media
    + supports multi-disc games
    + supports Action Reply
    + region free loading
    + super easy wireless install
    + no need to remove mainboard
    + PAL/NTSC region force
    + installation control LEDs
    + switchable read setting adjustment / error retry
    + switchable audiofix
    + anti-static packaging
    + very low price
    + selfbooting homebrew linux discs (thanks to Isobel)

Can anyone explain why I need audiofix?
    This chip seems perfect and it's quiet cheap.

Edit:
    I searched on internet and I found out more on this chip but I also found out something about laser tweak and that I need special dvd-burner.

I have NEC ND-3500AG dvd burner. Do I really need some special burner too? :( I was thinking of just burning the games on normal DVDs and playing, i'm not sure about mini dvds. I suppose mini dvds require special burners?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  8. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

no mini dvds do not require special burners. the laser tweak you are talking about is for the gamecube console itself. the laser works by shooting light onto the disc so it can read the disc. laser tweak changes how focused or strong the light is. the stronger, the better it reads, but the faster the laser wears out. install the mod chip and see if it reads fine. if it does then dont worry about laser tweak.

as far as special drivers, iono. just get the gc case mod so you can use regular dvds and burn with regular dvds. that should be ok.