1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you remove DVD content using Nero?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DGenerate, Oct 20, 2004.

1. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

I know Recode (as well as DVDShrink) has the option of disabling content, but there are certain cases where I'd like the option of totally removing it, so that, for example, I'm not stuck with five minutes of a blank screen at the beginning of a DVD when I disable the previews.

My idea would be to rip using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode, manually delete the unwanted material (FBI warnings, previews, etc) and then slap the whole mess into Nero (Recode or Vison Express?) to re-author and burn?

I understand that there can be playback issues with totally removing content from DVD backups, so any advice would be much appreciated...also, if Nero won't do it, can you recommend any good, free apps?

Cheers!

2. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

If you do not need the menu, here is what I do:

DVD decrypter - rip video files

DVD shrink - reauthor - remove everything except main movie. Verify the start frame, sometimes it's bullshit. Burn to ISO file

Burn ISO file with either Nero or decrypter.

3. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Cheers Ric.

So, it looks like I may have a closer look at Shrink after all.

Are there other options rather than "remove everything except main movie"? Usually, I'd like to get rid of previews/FBI warnings, but keep extras like deleted scenes.

And for the Nero users (come on, you must be here, somewhere) can I reliably reauthor in Nero? Of course I'm going to try to figure it out on my own (when I get a chance), but it would be nice if anyone had any tips to share :)

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

DGenerate

Shrink basically has two modes, full disc and reathor.
    full disc- keeps functioning menus
    allows you to insert a still image into any extras you do not wish to keep.
    reauthor-no menus
    allows editing of start and end points of selected video files.
    if you select main movie and some extras, all will play subsequently in whichever order you put them in.

I have a question about recode. Does it have a preview screen to let you see what you're keeping or not keeping? I've been tempted to try it out.

5. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

zyppid,

I am not sure if I am answering your question but Recode has a similar screen for selecting start/end frame.

6. zippyd

zippyd Active member

In the bottom left of the window in shrink there is a viewer. For example, if I want to see what a particular file is in the extras, I click it and click play in the viewer and it will play that file. If it turns out to be a preview for a movie I don't care about then I can insert a still image in it to save on space.

7. CHYMERA

CHYMERA Member

Hello, I get a new SONY DVD BURNER and also i have a DVD RIPPER but still I cannot make it work ,HOW i can burn a dvd movie?,can someone explain to me step-by step how to do that PLEASE........PLEASE.......PLEASE,i have window XP and P4

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

zippyd, recode works alomost exactly to a T like shrink. There is almost no noticeable difference. If shrink has it, then recode has it, or visa-versa.

Of course there are some subtle differences, but again, if you can run one you can run the other :>)

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

CHYMERA, alittle more info please. What do you mean you have a ripper, most programs rip the dvd, if they don't you can use anydvd, or decrypter, etc.

I need to know
    1)what software are you using
    2)what media are you using
    3)anything else you can tell me pertinent to the situation :>)

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

CHYMERA,

There are 3-4 steps to making a DVD backup.

1)ripping the movie

2)editing and or re-authoring the disc if needed to reduce compression

3)compressing the movie to fit on the DVD5 disc

4)finally, burning the movie to disc

Again, without more info, it's hard to say what you're doing wrong, but maybe this will help.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Chymera,

OK, DVD RIPPER MEDIA SUITE is I believe, a CD burning software, isn't that right? If so your copies are going to be inferior quality.

What version of nero came with your burner? Nero is a good program and will burn CD's and DVD's.

Also, download Shrink 3.2 and DVD Decrypter. They are both free and will do a much better job than what you are trying to use. In fact, these two apps along with Nero is all you'll ever need to make DVD backups, design covers, make music CD's, etc., etc., etc.

here is the shrink download site:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/downloads.php

This is a zip file you will have to extract the shrink setup from the file after you download it. Once you click on the setup, follow the prompts to install.

Here is the Decrypter download:

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?act=download

Just open and follow the prompts and install.

Once you have these installed, look at them and get familiar with the apps.

Here is a simple shrink guide I wrote:

1-open shrink

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

One final note, you will need DVD media to burn to, this is VERY important, you need good dependable media, it can be the difference the program working and a failed burn. It's not just a quality issue.

Get Ritek G04 4x -R or Ridata 4x +R. Make sure they are branded, that is, the name is stamped on the disc.

Meritline has this media for under .50 each w/free shipping. Make sure the media is compatible with your burner. that is +,-,R,RW. If you don't know you can look it up at your burner's homepage.

Here is the URL for the media:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

That's about it, if you have problems, just let me know by responding in this thread :>)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Thanks big orange.
    Had another question? While browsing the shelves of the local wally world (wal mart) I saw for the first time(on their shelves) Nero Ultra Edition. Price check please- "$79 sir". I'm thinking that I remember it being alot cheaper to buy off the net so I hit the Ahead Software site and for the downloaded serial it's $69 and for them to mail a retail package to me is $99+$9(s&h). I notice further down the page some plug-ins for even more$(dvd-video and multichannel).
    I'm thinking that it might be worth the 79 to have the rom in case i reformat or whatever. But do I need the plugins?

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

zippyd,

All you need is the DVD video plug-in which you can DL from the Nero site for free after your purchase. You MUST have this plug-in, none of the others.

You can get Ultra 6 off the net for 59.00, and someplaces even have rebates sometimes for 20.00 making it 39.00! A heck of a deal! I HIGHLY recommend this to everyone. It's so much more than DVD backup.

One other thing, they now have Ultra 6 in Nero Reload, an update that is free fro Ultra 6 owners, but sells for 79.00 for new buyers. I would buy Ultra 6 for the cheaper price and then update. The Nero Reload has NVE 3, and some other really neat features, or so I've heard. I haven't up dated mine yet but plan to this week.

Here's some info on the new Reload about halfway down the page:

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Nero;action=display;num=1096792670;start=0#0

Hope this helps :>)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  14. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Wow, thanks for the link bigorange. Your NVE guide is especially helpful.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Why Thank you, you are most welcome :>)

BTW, the reloaded release date is set for the 28th I believe.

16. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Have a look, 6.6.0.1 is actually available today!

However, the release notes haven't been updated yet, and my Nero auto-update says no updates are available (I have 6.3.1.25)...so although I've downloaded the updates, I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before I make the change.

Incidentally, I've been playing around with NVE a bit. I was delighted to find that I can now quickly and easily put all my digital camera movie clips on DVD.

But what do you think of my initial question/proposed solution? Can I use NVE to remove previews, FBI warnings, etc?

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It depends on the DVD makeup, if it is listed in NVE when you add the files as a seperate VTS file in the browse window that pops up after you hit "add files", then yes, you can choose not to add it to your queue.

18. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

I was watching this thread, but you lost me with NVE 3
    What is this?
    Thanks and sorry for newbie question :0)

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

no problemo, :>)

NVE stands for NeroVisionExpress. It is included in the Nero Ultra 6 suite. It will convert files to DVD compliant files and then you can create a menu and chapters for them if you wish, since DL files are usually movie only. you also burn to disc using the same app.

It even includes a software remote to view your movie and check out your menu before you burn, if anything is not to your liking or doesn't work it allows you to go back and correct it before the burn, thus saving a coaster.

20. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Er...sorry to pester you bigorange (or anyone else who happens to wander by)...just to clarify:

If I were to rip a DVD and import the files into NVE, I can (possibly) remove unwanted material like movie previews that come on before the main menu, yes?

And if I were to remove (not disable) some content, what would happen if that missing content was selected from the menu? Please let me know if this is not making any sense.

I have tried fiddling about with NVE myself, but I've had a few problems, so I thought I might as well ask for others' experiences.