1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you shrink from HD, not DVD disc?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by soulsling, Aug 27, 2004.

1. soulsling

soulsling Member

I have a dvd on my hard drive that i would like to burn. I have long since scratched the original. The copy on my hard drive is too big to burn directly to dvd (7.63 gigs) and because of that has been sitting on my hard drive for years. it needs to be shrunk or something. But i cant get dvdshrink to find the files if they're not already on a dvd disc, it only lets me browse through my dvd-rom drives. Can dvdshrink shrink files directly from the hard drive, and how?

If not, what are my options to burn that puppy?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If the file was ripped properly then DVD Shrink can recognize it but you have to direct Shrink to its location. Open Shrink, to file at the top left and choose open, navigate to where your DVD is stored IE C:\mydvd\Video_TS and then click on the Video_TS file only and then when it opens click on the first to the top left file you see and let shrink load it.

3. RogerWing

RogerWing Member

Like Sophocles said, it's possible if the DVD was ripped properly. I use DVD Decrypter to rip the files of non-region zone 1 DVD's on my region zone 1 DVD drive and then DVD Shrink to shrink them to a DVD+R. =)

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

RogerWing:
    You really only need to rip with decrypter if shrink can't rip it. It happens but not very often.

Soulsling, are you using shrink 3.2? As sophocles stated, use open disc for disc on your DVD- drive, use Open files for files on your hard drive. Makes sense to me.

5. soulsling

soulsling Member

"You really only need to rip with decrypter if shrink can't rip it. It happens but not very often. "

bigorange, does this mean all you need is dvddecrypter to rip and burn? how do you get it to do that.

i'm using 3.1, i'll upgrade stat.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

soulsling

No it means you only need DVD Shrink to rip and compress but you'll still need Nero to burn. Unless you don't have Nero, then you use DVD Shrink to rip, compress in ISO mode then you can use DVD Decrypter to burn. It will burn in ISO mode only.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

soulsling, you definitely need to DL shrink 3.2, that's no.1

no.2-this may clarify a little:

Shrink-will rip, compress,edit, and reauthor.

Decrypter-will rip(in file,IFO,ISO mode) and will burn(but only ISO files)

Nero-will edit,re-author, and burn(in either mode).

As you can see, you need a combination of 2 programs to make it work, any 2 will work together.

Is it beginning to make sense?

8. soulsling

soulsling Member

you know what, i'm an idiot. from the begining i meant to talk about DVDSTRIPPER. I already knew that about dvd shrink, i've used it. But with this dvd dvdshrink says the disc is too big too shrink. So let me rephrase the original post:

I have a dvd on my hard drive that i would like to burn. I have long since scratched the original. The copy on my hard drive is too big to burn directly to dvd (7.63 gigs). DVDshrink gives me an error that says the dvd is too big too fit on the disc, even shrunk. I figured my best option at that point was DVDSTRIPPER(?)But i cant get DVDSTRIPPER to find the files if they're not already on a dvd disc, it only lets me browse through my dvd-rom drives. Can dvdSTRIPPER strip files directly from the hard drive, and how?

9. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you can use dvd shrink twice to compress it enough.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It's been a while since I used DVDStripper, but I believe you have to use IFOedit with it. I know it uses decrypter to rip to the HD, so I think you can.

what I don't understand is why shrink won't deal with the file, i've used shrink on files lager than 7.63g.

11. michigan

michigan Guest

You could split it into two discs using the start/stop

12. soulsling

soulsling Member

"you can use DVD Shrink twice to compress it enough."
    -sly

the problem is though, it seemingly wont let me shrink it once cause i get the error message that says its too big before i get to the burn dialog box. Any more specifics on that?

"You could split it into two discs using the start/stop "
    -michigan

do you mean in dvdshrink or dvdstripper? if dvdstripper, can i do that from the hard drive? can you get me any more specifics on that process?

thanks guys.

13. michigan

michigan Guest

14. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

soulsling, if you want to "shrink" twice, simply ignore the "Files are too big" error message the first time round. ;)

The guide michigan is refering to is:
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/splitting-v2-3.php

It was made with DVD Shrink v2.3, but the principle is the same with newer versions.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Denis, you don't seem surprised by this error message. I know I have shrunk files larger than 7.63g, what's the deal? Perfect example-LOTR,ROTK.

16. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

The "maximum compressability" of a title is not actually related to its size (even thought the bigger the title, the more chance of DVD Shrink not being able to "shrink" it to DVD5 size in one pass)

The maximum compressability is actually based on the initial or deep analysis, and limited by DVD Shrink compression algorithm.

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Denis,

Thanx, in a backward sort of way that makes sense, at least I'll be able to explain next time the subject pops up. Appreciate the speedy reply.

18. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

You're welcome. ;)

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm!

Double "D"

I've noticed that you use smilies with both a colon :) and a semicolon ;), does this suggest a difference in the intensity of your smiles?

20. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

The one with the semi-colon is a *wink*. ;o)