1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you swap a dvd drive board on a different 360 dvd drive?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ewibolo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. ewibolo

ewibolo Member

I would just like to know if I can swap boards between 2 different dvd drives on the xbox 360?

My original is a samsung, and the new one is the samsung-toshiba ms25.

Can I just swap the boards so I don't have to deal with flashing the damn things?

Thanks in advance

2. tcs614

tcs614 Member

if ur gonna switch the boards u need to flash because u have to flash firmware with the correct drive key injected. If you just swap the boards and put the xbox back together it will only play dvds

3. ewibolo

ewibolo Member

This is what I have

1. original SAMSUNG broken dvd drive--won't read disks, but spins up
    This is the original that has the correct key inside

2. new SAMSUNG-TOSHIBA dvd drive

I want to switch the original board (#1) over to the new drive (#2)with the new working parts (laser, spin motor, etc)

Even though they are different manufacturers, will the board swap be compatible and work.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  4. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

i may be wrong but i thought samsung is samsung, they will and have always been toshibia samsung and either ms 25 or ms 28.

5. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

You can just swap mainboards (use your original mainboard in the new drive) hook all connections back up and it will work.

6. Memnock

Memnock Active member

If you don't want to deal with flashing you can open up the DVD drives and swap the boards in them. That'll work since they are both Samsungs drives. All Samsung drive are the same except for the firmware on them.

7. ewibolo

ewibolo Member

Yep, they both were the same samsung drives with different firmware, so I swapped the boards, and now my xbox works better than before.

Quick question: Say I have a Benq that I am going to replace with a samsung. Can I just replace the boards from the original Benq to the samsung?

Thanks for all of your help. Without this site, I would be in the dark!!!

Thanks again for all of your contributions.

8. Memnock

Memnock Active member

No that can only be with the same brand of drive and for Hitachis I think they even need to be same firmware model. So for installing a Benq drive on on motherboard that originally had a Samsung drive you'll need to extract the key from the original drive and inject it into the Benq drives firmware. You'll also have to spoof it as that Samsung drive.