1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you trick your psp???

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by chess0990, Apr 25, 2007.

1. chess0990

chess0990 Regular member

could you use pbp unpacker to take the files out of a firmware you havent upgraded to and switch DATA.PSAR and DATA.PSP with the DATA.PSAR and DATA.PSP of firmware 1.50 to trick it into thinking its getting new stuff but, its actaully getting old stuff.

THX for any feedback

2. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

maybe...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2007
  3. Karatekun

Karatekun Member

That's a pretty interesting idea. I don't know much about all that, but maybe you should try it dude. Good luck. Sound like it'd work.

4. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

this all falls under the same category. if this works for this fw, then it should work for all up to when sony fixes it. im sure dax has tried it in previous fw downgrades, but may have forgotten about it, thinking it is too easy. go for it, and sorry for soungin so mean in my first post

5. chess0990

chess0990 Regular member

dont worry about it! im just waitin for a new fw because i already upgraded to 3.40 i ll keep you posted on wether or not it works for me

6. Karatekun

Karatekun Member

Cool. Good luck mate. I'm so tired of not being able to homebrew.

7. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

ya, good luck

8. chess0990

chess0990 Regular member

my most resent update-

with the files changed the psp says update 3.40. But until they come out with a new fw we will not know for sure whether or not it will work.

9. Karatekun

Karatekun Member

So you have 3.40? Somebody who has a lower FW version should try it. I have no idea how to do it. I have 3.11.

10. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

from where u are already, i think it might work. wait 4 the next sony fw and do somethin with that.
    and, with ur idea, u dont even need an exploit.
    however, the PSP might run into some problems when u take away the web browser. somethin like that might brick u. just b careful when the time comes around.

11. chess0990

chess0990 Regular member

Im making a read me. But, id rather use it on my self because i dont want to put your psps in jeaprody

12. Karatekun

Karatekun Member

Doesn't the PSP's old FW check to see if the FW of the new one is older or more recent? If that type of data isn't stored in those files you're interchanging, then that should work. I would've that DAX would have tried it by now, so it probably won't work.

13. chess0990

chess0990 Regular member

do any of you have a way to contact DAX and ask him if he already did this or what he thinks.

14. Karatekun

Karatekun Member

I don't know. I wish I knew a way to contact that guy and thank him for all the hard work and time he's put into all this crap. We all owe that dude so much.

15. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

to do this, u just need to make x:/PSP/Game/UPDATE and put eh EBOOT in the Update folder.

and, to try and make this trick work, y not decrypt the 1.50 firmware, copy it into a new file, or something, so the psp thinks its a new fw? it might not work, but it still has a little better chance than just the regular 1.50.

16. chess0990

chess0990 Regular member

Do you guys have any idea when the next update will be released by sony. Because i have the readme and a sample done

17. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

so wat ur saying is that if u never had 1.5 in ur psp, then this will work? i think thats wat ur saying, cuz the psp wont know what a newer fw is.

and i have no idea when the next upgrade will come out. try the sony site, it might tell u an approximation

18. Altus580

Altus580 Guest

Can someone help me w/ this

I've downloaded two firmware updates for 3.03 on from psp-hacks, and one that was linked out of these forums somewhere

so i created a folder in my PSP-GAMES- folder Called UPDATE

but it keeps tellin me the files are corrupt when i try to open them and i cant uprgade to 3.03

19. jeylerPSP

jeylerPSP Member

hey mrmcman i have 3.11 also can you explain in more detail how to do this?? i will try it

20. chess0990

chess0990 Regular member

i recently edited the param.sfo which is the file that tells the psp what firmware your trying to load. I changed it to say it is ver. 3.50. and the psp displays 3.50.