1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you use Shrink to burn only ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ricster, Nov 11, 2004.

1. ricster

ricster Regular member

Ok, this is going to sound strange. I currently have a problem with Nero in that it is burning at 2x when it says it's going 4x. The countdown reaches zero but it just keeps going. However, if I use Shrink and ask it to burn using Nero, it burns at 4x! I don't know what Shrink is doing with Nero but I like it. So, whilst I try to get the Nero standalone problem solved, is there a way I can ask Shrink to just do the burn (given that I already have the encoded files stored somewhere else) ?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

If I understand you right, no. You would have to run the process through Shrink in order to auto burn with DVD Shrink

3. colw

colw Active member

DVD Shrink does not burn in its own right.

With Shrink, you can enable your settings to allow burning with either DVD Decrypter(ISO mode) or Nero.

4. ricster

ricster Regular member

flip - yes I think you do understand. I don't want to encode again. Thanks.

5. ricster

ricster Regular member

colw,

Yes, I understand that. I have already shrunk the files with Shrink. Normally I would then just use Nero standalone to burn, but as I said I'm having problems that way. If I do the whole process with Shrink it is making Nero burn at the right speed (somehow). So this is fine for new backups, but if I already have the Shrink output from a previous run then I was wondering whether I could load up the files in Shrink and then simply ask it to do the burn (since it is so good at it!). I now realise the answer is 'no'. I will just have to try and get Nero to work as intended.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

colw,

Oooppss, you forgot the best burner of the lot - CopyToDVD is a much better burner and faster by far than either Nero OR DVD Decrypter and CopyToDVD will burn "automatically" with DVD Shrink just the same as Nero OR DVD Decrypter.
    As far as your files go - IF you have CopyToDVD it can fry those files for you as can Nero IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY -

Listen up there ricster,

Use Nero Classic, Burning ROM.

A guide for burning with Nero 6 Burning ROM STORY

BURNING WITH NERO CLASSIC
    HINT:
    I always like to create a folder for your work on your desktop OR somewhere on your HD where you can find it again. - Name it something that you'll be able to find. I named mine C:\All My DVD Work\Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management. Now load your IFO, BUP and VOB files there - make sure they are in a folder named VIDEO_TS written like that (all in Caps) - some programs like DVD Shrink will make the properly named folder for you, others you must make the folder yourself - Nero needs that folder with all it's contents in order to work properly -

Burning a file made by DVD Shrink.
    If you had used DVD Shrink to create a file on your HD you are truly in great shape. When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero Classic (don't use Nero's Wizard), trace your path back to C:\All My DVD Work\Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management. , you don't have to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished and ready to go - -

OK then, is everyone comfy ? Good - its now time for - -
    "Uncle" ScubaPete's Step by Step, Let's burn with Nero 6 Guide -

First - Do not use Nero Wizard -
    Please follow EXACTLY - I'm going to attempt to make this as easy and painless as I possibly can. To get to Nero Classic, follow the "bouncing ball". First, - lets go to Start, All Programs,then Nero, then Nero Ultra Edition and finally Nero Burning ROM.

When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the "New Compilation" window. Directly under the title "New Compilation" is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose "DVD". Directly under that click on the "DVD Video Icon." Then click "New" in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the "DVD Video" window. In the left screen, click "VIDEO_TS". In the "File Browser" screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one you made earlier holding all of your files and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the "Shift" key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left and release the mouse button. Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click "OK" and now, clear the room, stand up tall and shout out, "Burn Baby, BURN" ! One more time, let me hear you say it, "Who's your Daddy Now ???"
    Guess what my Friend ? You are done !!!

(Wheeew, now I really need a cigarette)

NOW, STAND AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER ! !
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Ms. Computer. Do not fold spindle or mutilate and never mess with the lady when she's working - it could be hazardous to your health, you understand -
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, she will let you know ;-))

Enjoy your backup,

"Pete"

7. ricster

ricster Regular member

ScubaPete,

Thanks for all that. It describes exactly what I've been doing for a long time with Shrink/Nero. Never had any problems until the day I decided to upgrade to XP SP2. As soon as I'd done that my burning got ugly so I backed off SP2 and it all started working again...or so I thought. This slow-burn problem has only just started to happen. No change in media. It's really odd since Decrypter can burn at the correct speed, Shrink can ask Nero to burn at the correct speed yet Nero (standalone) will not do it. The reason for my original question was that I could see that Shrink was doing it right and so I wanted to know whether I could just ask Shrink to do the burn for me until I get Nero sorted. Now I know I can't.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ricster,

Though Nero is an excellent program we tend to forget the fact that our friendly Nero program can get "Flaky" at times and then needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled.

If you are going to uninstall Nero you must do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.html

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys.

When installing and uninstalling programs it's a good practice complete the operation with a PC reboot. It only takes a minute, help it can, hurt it won't.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  9. ricster

ricster Regular member

Well I always use the general clean tool before installing any upgrade to Nero. I learned that many moons ago when talking to customer support. It's their standard approach to problem solving. I do reboot between the installs and I don't use InCD. However, I don't use the registry/driver cleaner so maybe I'll give that a shot whilst I wait for Nero support to come back. Thanks.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Using the "General clean tools" are fine when upgrading BUT we're not upgrading, we're uninstalling and we need to get rid of everything Nero so use all of the tools - it's the reason they are there -

Cheers,

Pete

11. iracekx

iracekx Member

How do you get dvd decrypter now if you live in the us.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Pple in the US are out of luck, No problem in Canada :)