1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot access antivirus, antimalware sites. Virus present (win32), help please

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Thoughtless, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

hello... im totally lost...
    I got this virus and im used to using avast but somehow on this laptop only microsoft essentials was downloaded. it started flashing all red and telling me to desinfect all those files and run full scans.. which i did, it had to restart the pc twice but still the virus is here. so i thought i'd download avast and when that didnt work i suspected something and then fell on this link (oups cant post link, but this is the end of the link after the name of this site):

thread_view.cfm/719036

which seems to be similar to what is happening to me (edit: ouch..just read something about NOT.EVER trying anything that sounds similar.. sorry about that guys..well (As you will find out) nothing happened anyway.. (hence the post)).. well..im pretty much a comlplete newbie at pc stuff but i did see this "win32" somewhere on that link above. so i decided to give it a go. first thing first, switched off firewall and microsoft essentials then tried to start in safe mode. but that didnt work. a blue screen appeared (didnt have to read all info) and then PC restarted and blue screen came back (finally managed to read something about if this is the first time then..but if not try... check for viruses...etc..) so im pretty much stuck... cant download combofix and dont have antimalware on this laptop neither avast. just microsoft essentials.

I dont mind losing all info as we just got the laptop fixed so theres nothing to lose (apart from a few pictures)

at the moment im just letting microsoft essentials run its scan and desinfect the files it wants to...the file it keeps detecting is called Win32/Ramnit.AE and it seems to be infecting all my files because whenever i look at "more details" to look at the items infected it shows different programme/software that i recognized/were installed on PC before.

awaiting a reply eagerly..a totally thoughtless moron

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try doing a system restore thru safemode as i think you have a malware. what windows are you using?

3. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

windows XP.

i cant access windows through safe mode. but i can normally. shall i do the system restore while running windows normally?

Thank you for any help you can offer; I've tried googling the name of the virus (win32/ramnit.ac) and it seems that if the infection gets too much I've got to just reformat...

edit: being reading the sticky of what to do before posting, and i tried doing the stuff on there, ATFcleaner, Kapersky webscanner; none of the links from that sticky work for me and i tried to google the names of the software to download them and it doesnt work.

i usually use firefox to browse the net but at the moment its not opening, i tried internet explorer and this is from where im editing right now. (and from where ive tried downloading the softwares) but i havent been able to download anything.)

btw..Ive tried doing a system restore to wednesday but nothing has changed. also today i received a message from windows telling me some files have been compromised and i should insert the cd to reinstall them...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011