1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot burn anything but rewritables,HELP!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bloonight, May 9, 2004.

1. bloonight

bloonight Guest

Hi all,
    I have browsed the site over and over and cannot find anything like my problem. Help please. I am running a Sony DVD RW DRU 500-A on a PIII 900 MHZ with 256 megs RAM, 40 GIG HD,64 MB vid. I am using Shrink DVD and Nero 6. Everything works great together except I cannot burn a DVD-R or DVD+R that will play on my stand alone DVD player. It keeps showing "no disk" evertime I try to play them. They play on my computer with Power DVD fine. There are 2 strange things happening here. I can burn a DVD- or + rewritable and it will play on my computer and every other stand alone I have tried also I was able to burn DVD-+ prior to updating my firmware. My questions are can I revert to the old firmware and how do I do that and has anyone else ever heard of this problem. By the way I can burn any brand of rewritable including cheap no names and I am using Verbatim DVD-+ for my media. They are rated for 2x-4x. Any help will be great. Thanks in advance.

2. grogey

grogey Guest

Interesting problem bloonight. My first thought was that maybe this drive was designed for +/-RW only but CDRLabs.com gives the following information:
    Firmware version and media you are using are the things you need to check next. What firmware version are you using? What +/-R brand discs have you tried? What speed are you writing at?

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/sony-dru-500a/ says:
    Tests done by that site showed:
    The verdict after testing was that:

This is just a small portion of the information available. Try doing a websearch with these indicators: Sony DVD RW DRU 500-A best firmware media (substitute the word media with the media code or brand and type of + or - R disc you have been using)

Good luck

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grogeybear
    My best advice for NEWBIES is:"use the search function.
    THE BEST REVENGE IS TO LIFE A GOOD LIFE
    Aim for Charm not Perfection
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2004
  3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi bloonight, The site I list is mainly for firmware hacks and problems. If there is any type of problem with a firmware version, this site should have a thread about it. Just do a search for your model when you get there. Hope this helps.

http://www.rpc1.com.

Jerry

4. bloonight

bloonight Guest

Thanks you two for the help.....I just finished work and found your responses. I have been to Videohelp.com and they say the player I have is fine for all formats and I have Verbatim DVD-r and DVD+R and I am about to see about updating the firmware. I know this drive works as it was working in another machine. One more question for both of you please.....in the other machine it was running under Windows Millenium and I am running the drive under Windows XP. Does the operating system make a difference. I have read a lot about the different systems but can't seem to figure out what is bes and what's not. Thanks again for the input.I owe you a beer.

5. grogey

grogey Guest

A beer'd be great thanx mate!! :D

Operating systems are a bit like car models - user preferences define choices. For me personally I wouldn't go past xp - it operates far more smoothly and with virtually less crashes than any other version I've previously used. I shouldn't think that XP would be having too much effect on your burner.

You should perhaps check whether you have the IMAPI CD Burning Service enabled though as this can sometimes play havic with your burning software.

This link will take you to a previous post of mine explaining how to disable it.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/84161#435287