1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cannot change desktop

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by basquiat, Feb 21, 2007.

1. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

ok i cant for the life of me figure this out, since my roomate was using my pc over the tweekend i cant change my wallpaper, when i look under desktop in display properties i can see all my wallpapers but the preview is just the background color like when you highlight "none"...but heres the weird thing, i can apply any wallpaper and if i close explorer.exe process then the wallpaper shows up....but when i reboot or restart explorer.exe it dissapears and the desktop is just background color again as if i have no wallpaper selected, hope that makes sense i am super tired....any ideas?

edit: just found out if i add an icon (shortcut) to the desktop the wallpaper magically appears, and as soon as i delete the icon it disapears again, this is starting to piss me off...

edit2: i just noticed something else, my taskbar clock is gone crazy, look at img below (i use a program called lclock so i didnt notice it before)

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/deejayadhd/Clipboard01.jpg

i need help!

edit3: just fyi i've been using windowblinds for quite some time with no problems and i did try unloading/uninstalling it several times but changes nothing (except what its supposed to)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. barroni

barroni Guest

3. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

ive already tried that and did not help...theres gotta be sometyhing else going on here.

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Sounds a little like a win32 family virus. Possibly winfixer. Run your usual anti virus solution and see what it comes up with.

If nothing try this ...

start, run: gpedit.msc

User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Control Panel->Display->Set "Prevent changing wallpaper" to disabled, or not configured.

Otherwise go here and follow the instructions exactly http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html
    then post your results in the windows virus/trojan section for kateman to have a look at.

If nothing then you could try the following. Right click an empty place on the desktop and select properties. Click on the desktop tab, then click the cutomize desktop button. Click the web tab and untick any webpages that are selected in the web pages window. Make sure the lock desktop items box is unticked. Click ok/apply/ok. See if that allows you to change your dektop wallpaper.

It may be none of the above.. try..

click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

Look in the right pane for a value called NoChangingWallPaper. If it exists, its probably set to 1. Double click it and change it to 0 (zero).
    If it doesn't exist, right click in a blank area of the right pane and select, New, DWord value and name it "NoChangingWallPaper". Leave it set at 0

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  5. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

thanx for the tips...i have tried all of them, also did a complete scan with kaspersky av (fully updated) and even did a scan with tm online scanner, so i got an idea and made a new user account/profile...when logged into this account i can browse my wallpapers in desktop settings as normal but still cant see them on the desktop unless there is an icon shortcut, oh and the taskbar clock is okay in the new account, wish i knew what was going on.

edit: ok i got it fixed, in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop there are 2 keys called OriginalWallpaper and Wallpaper, i deleted them and relogged and presto everything is normal, i deleted them in kind of a haste so i dont know what the values were or why they were messing things up, thanx for the tips though.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007