1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot connect to Internet

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by gwendolin, Apr 23, 2007.

1. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

At present I am using my sons comp as I can no longer connect to I/Net. I went to Start...Run..then typed something I cant remember and it came up with my IP server as 00.00.00...any clues how to fix this (and what did I type after cmd to get this info)

Besides the I/Net there are a few other functions unavailable such as System Restore, and Help and Support.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

3. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I did a google search before posting this thread, I couldnt find anything to solve the problem.
    It was ipconfig I entered and it came up with all zeros for IP address...subnet mask...Default gateway.

I am currently trying another avenue.

Checking my sons comp in the same manner I have located his details..we are sharing the same modem and router...so it's a problem isolated to my comp.

EDIT: Problem solved, ran Windows repair disc.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Dear you may have to go into command prompt again and type in the following.

C:\IPconfig /all

This will give you all your details for your networking cards.

If you are connected it will show you your I,P Addresses. If not it will say media disconnected.

If you are using a wireless connection you may need to go into you network properties and delete the network settings from the list and let the wireless card detect it again and then try connecting again and putting your passkey in if your router has security set up and this should connect you back to the net.

If not go back into command prompt and type

ping your routers address e.g. 194.167.1.1 so the line would read ping 194.165.1.1(Put in your correct number here) and when you hit enter it should go and do some data receiving thing four data packets should be sent and received if they don't get received. Try pinging your modem using the same method but using the modems address.

If you do get packets received. Then in command prompt type to check again the following: ping www.google.com see if it can receive packets from the page if it does and it is successfull then go back to your browser and test it out in the address line if it comes up then your back online with no probs.

I hope that helps if anything else comes up let me know...