1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cannot copy file_name: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mdizzle, Mar 3, 2005.

1. mdizzle

mdizzle Member

I've seen some postings of cyclic redundancy check but none of them really explain how to solve the problem I am having. So any ideas you have will be very helpful. I'll try explaining everything..problem and ways that i've tried solving my issue.

Problem:
    I have a burnt copy of AVP and wanted to make another. But i don't have the original, just the copy.
    Tried to copy it over to my HD straight from the disk, but an error occured. Tried using DVD Decryptor but got the error again. Tried using DVD Shrink, but got an error. The whole error message is 'Cannot copy VTS_03_3: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)'.

1. The disk is totally scratch free and smudge free from the start.
    2. Tried DVD Decryptor in Brute Force, but no help.
    3. Tried playing the movie for about 10 minutes first then ripping, no help.
    Tried ISO mode instead of File mode in DVD Decrypter, but no help.
    4. Tried checking if it is drive related by copying another burnt movie. The movie copies over with no errors. So I guess it aint drive related.

I am using a Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R6472. The movie is on a Maxell DVD+R 8x, and used Nero to burn at 4x.

System: P4 3.06 w/HTT, 512 RAM, WinXP w/SP 2.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I doubt it. This is 99% of the time the problem of Data error cyclic redundancy check. Sometimes you can't see with your eyes but there is a problem with the disk or the file was bad to begin with. The DVD will play fine in a DVD player but it has problems when ripping it. You could tryy to clean the disk really good and try using something like Nero with the copy to disk feature.

3. mdizzle

mdizzle Member

Thanks for the advice. I tried cleaning the disc with a clean lint free cloth. Tried with water, tried with some small amount of soapy water, with straight lines starting from the middle to the edges. Tried several times, but with the same result. Also, just tried to burn an image to my HD without success. So any other alternatives to the problem, or alternatives to my cleaning method will be helpful..Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

When I have a disc like that I use SkipDr [​IMG]
    If you cant get your hands on one of those try getting another copy of the movie. You can also run that disk threw Nero CD/DVD speed
    1. Open Nero CD-DVD Speed
    2. Click on Extra
    3. Select Scan Disc
    4. Click in little box that says Surface Scan
    5. Then Click on start
    You will see where your disk is bad if you have any red thats bad green is good and so on..
    I scan all my back ups this way to make sure there is no problems, but it works on originals too...

5. mdizzle

mdizzle Member

Thanks for all the advice. From now on I think I will be running my burned copies through cd/dvd speed before i return the rented original. Also, probably will get a much better cleaning apparatus than soapy water and a cloth. Much Mahalos.