1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot copy files from a DVDR backup to hard drive

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by scooter07, Jul 8, 2007.

1. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

I have backed up a movie using DVDShrink (removing protections) and made a DVDR copy using Nero 7.x. It works fine in a DVD Player and plays with Nero Showtime, however when I went to copy the files back to my computer to make another copy I get read errors (cannot copy VTS_01_1.vob:cyclic redundancy check). This happens using Windows Explorer, DVDShrink, DVDFab, DVDDecrypt etc and on 2 different computers/drives. There is no copyright protection on the disc and the disc is clean with no marks. When I run the disc through Nero CD/DVD Speed surface scan, it shows alot (15%) bad. The media is Memorex (I have read the forums on media types and will heed the advice in the future and use TY media) and the burn was made only 1 month ago and hasn't been watched more than once. I also get this on more than 1 DVDR backup. I suspect now that it is the media, but how can it be playable with no errors, yet I cannot copy it to my hd?? Also I've read to shrink down to 4.2gb instead of 4.7gb to avoid burning near the edges of the disc where the dye may be inconsistent. Any thoughts?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Did you delete the files that were on your HD, from the original burn? If you didn't delete them, they may still be there, unless you overwrote them, with another burn.
    Just use your original again, to make another copy! If it worked once, it should again.

3. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

Yes, I did delete the original files. I have run DVDFab to copy to the hard drive and ticked "ignore all errors". The copy took 8 hours but the DVD files are playable with Nero Showtime. I will try to burn another copy (when I get better media) and make sure it plays as the original and then I know that DVDFab can ignore read errors and still copy the files. I'm using a Dell HL DVD+-RW DL drive and have a spare Memorex DVD+-RW DL drive and will see if one reads better than the other. I will try to remember to update this thread after I do this. Thanks.

4. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

I made a new disc from the DVDFab backup files and it was successful but upon reviewing the new disc with a newer DVD player, it had spots where the video was spotty or froze. Then I looked at the orginal (that had errors according to the pc) and it errors in the same spot. So although the original disc was successful burning according to Nero, it apparently did not and always had these errors. Now I don't know what to think about previous discs I have made with this Memorex media. :(

5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

this is a sign of media problems, meaning that you are using low quality(compatible)media and not getting good burns, since they play in dvd players but cant be ripped.

What brand of media are you using?
    DL this program to see who makes your media

edit
    i would say get some Verbatims or Taiyo Yudens

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  6. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

As stated above, media is Memorex and DVDInfo says it is Ritek. I have had this problem with some other discs as well but can't remember which ones to test them. I hope the TY media everyone speaks of is alot better as this nonsense is annoying.

7. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

is your firmware up to date for your burner?

actually the ritek memorex are decent media, but if your firmware is up to date, your burner just might not like that brand of media, it would be better to try different media like i said above.

8. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

Yes, firmware is up to date as far as I know. I've made alot of good burns recently. This was a disc that was in excellent shape and I wanted to make a second copy and that is when I found out that I cannot rip to the pc because of errors on the disc. All discs are from the same pack with good burns both before this and after this. What I've learned recently about burning discs faster than 4x is that they don't play on older players and are prone to errors during the burn process although Nero says it was successful. I will only burn at 4x now, the extra time is no big deal.

9. Dvdcopyer

Dvdcopyer Guest

i know this is an older thread but are u using sticky DVD/CD Labels? Just an Idea since Labels have turned my entire movie collection into giant read errors. Just a thought

10. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

No, I use printable DVDRs and print the label directly on the disc. Since it is made for this, I don't consider this to be the problem. I have used Avery labels on my burned CDs for years and it hasn't caused any problems. I have discovered that if you burn the DVDRs at the lowest speed, the discs are readable on older DVD players and can be ripped back to pc.