1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot copy The Holiday

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Klewis, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Klewis

Klewis Guest

Up until recently, I have used DVD Shrink with Any DVD in background and this has worked great......tried to copy The Holiday and I get "Failed to read E:\" Any suggestions???

2. hamillp

hamillp Regular member

DVD Fab Decrypter.

3. lechy4

lechy4 Guest

tried dvd fab decrypter...no luck on the holiday or stranger than fiction.

4. sag2534

sag2534 Guest

anydvd and nero recode

5. blake123

blake123 Guest

try clonedvd with anydvd,anydvd cant completly rewrite the dvd structure
    that the job of the ripper and since shrink is not updated it want work on some of the newer movies.if you dont want to use clonedvd try ripit4me,dvdfab decrypter and vob blanker or use anydvds ripper and do movie only.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Shrink and AnyDVD aren't working well together on the newer copy protections. Well documented problem. Other options are available as mentioned by the other members. Do you want free or retail. I can tell you up front that the free has been working as good or better than the retail. RipIt4Me includes FixVTS code for DVD compliance processing as well as bypassing copy protection. It's a bit slower, but more a sure thing. I've used it on the most difficult protections and it gets the job done with a 1-Click mode. DVDFab Decrypter is good, but sometimes requires compliance processing with a program like FixVTS or VobBlanker. AnyDVD is supposed to still be working with Recode from the Nero suite. I don't think I'd buy Nero just for Recode. I have it, but for the complete burning suite. CloneDVD 2 is a good bet with AnyDVD, but that is another retail purchase. If you have CloneDVD 2, you probably would use it as a transcoder instead of just for ripping. No need for Shrink if you have it, unless you just prefer Shrink.

What will it be, free or retail? By the way, you can add ImgBurn to RipIt4Me and Shrink for a seamless backup system. It takes the Revised version of Shrink to support ImgBurn though.
    bbmayo's RI4M guide:
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/pacman777guide.pdf
    I recommend this this guide because the software used includes the revised version of Shrink which supports burning with ImgBurn instead of the older DVD Decrypter burner ware supported by the original Shrink 3.2.

7. janann

janann Member

I was a DVD Shrink girl. I have been so frustrated with it not working. I just tried Clone DVD2 (21 day trial) and AnyDVD and it backed up without a hitch. I could not believe it did it all by itself. WOW, I was excited.

Good Luck!

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It may not have been Shrink's fault. It's only for transcoding nowadays. What were you using for decryption? RipIt4Me and DVDFab Decrypter have been working on all the heavily protected movies like The Holiday. I just backed that one up with no problem at all.

If you like Shrink it's still there. There's the RipIt4Me, DVD Shrink, ImgBurn system which will do any of the new releases and it's all freeware. AnyDVD and CloneDVD do a good job most of the time. If you don't mind the cost, there's no reason not to have them. The only advantage in the retail purchase is that it shaves a few minutes off the backup process.

9. wcompton

wcompton Guest

What is the latest Version of Ripit4me and where do you download it?

10. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

11. sag2534

sag2534 Guest

this is becoming a forum about how dvd shrink can do this movie and that movie. Let dvd shrink die it had it's run. there are alot of other free programs out there................

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Edit: Accidental double.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Name one freeware trancoder that can transcode or edit as well as DVD Shrink. Plus, if you look to the top of the page, this forum is supposed to be devoted to Shrink; not CloneDVD, Recode, DVD2One, DVDCopy, DVDFab Platinum or any of the other transcoders. The problem with doing some of the new movies is the copy protection, not Shrink. Shrink's decryption software was never the best around, though it will do a lot of DVDs on its own. Depending on how the user looks at it, it's a plus or negative. It being able to do any is a plus, but many see the decryption software not being the equal of DVDFab Decrypter, AnyDVD or the others as a negative. Most transcoding software nowadays don't have any decryption software included at all. It's the old story of "is the glass half full or half empty". Use the right decryption software and Shrink can transcode any of the new releases.

14. sag2534

sag2534 Guest

sorry, but dvd shrink is having more problems with todays dvds.

15. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

WWW.DVDIDLE.COM (Download Region + css free, copies everything including Sony protected)

16. dvdruthie

dvdruthie Guest

I tried clone dvd and it was very easy but the audio and video didn't match up. I like shrink for episodic and dl. Easiest one I've used yet. However I havn't used any but freeware. The trial versions I've tried have limited capabilities and was a waste of time. I want to know exactly what it can do before I buy it.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

According to who? Using the right decryption and processing software I can get cleaned and compliant files and Shrink can edit and/or transcode the output and use a supported burner to handle the burning task. That's the same as it's always been done. The trick nowadays is with the copy protection.

Handy program. In some ways I like it better than AnyDVD. Both of those are retail. I own both, but for the past few months I've been using RipIt4Me. The free DVDFab Decrypter is from DVDIdle, the home of Region Free. I have that one too. DVDIdle is being nice to the public giving away a good decryption program, especially since they're in the business of selling backup software.

The trial versions of AnyDVD and CloneDVD are full function versions of the retail. They expire if you don't buy a key, but the function doesn't change, except custom settings in AnyDVD may reset to default each time the trial loads.

If you like Shrink, why not use the free RipIt4Me or DVDFab Decrypter to bypass the copy protection on the new problem releases. The problem isn't with Shrink's ability to transcode, it has a weak decryption program built in. That's always been the case, even before the new copy protection schemes. Back in the day the author of Shrink suggested DVD Decrypter when decryption problems came up. Nowadays DVD Decrypter needs the aid of RipIt4Me with some of the more heavily protected releases, i.e. Sony (ARccOS). You don't need to change your editing, transcoding and burning process from what you're doing now. You only need to learn how to do the ripping and compliance processing for the source files you input to Shrink.

I think janrocks saved the RipIt4Me AIO files and put them on a server. I'm not positive. The RI4M site has been down a couple of days. RipIt4Me is the easiest decryption tool for use with Shrink. It rips the files and processes for DVD compliance all in the 1-Click mode and has a skip to Shrink feature if the release has light encryption Shrink can handle. The RipIt4Me files are opened in Shrink. So, I'm assuming you didn't look at bbmayo's guide that I suggested to you earlier. (The software links aren't working in the guide for now.)

18. WTFBURN

WTFBURN Member

I tried to download AIO Installer and search for it everywhere, but I cannot find a page that is actually up and able to download from. SOME1 HELP!

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Janrocks posted a link. I don't remember it, so PM Janrocks.