1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot enable DMA under WinXP Pro. Have tried several suggested solutions.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by XeroLaw, Feb 21, 2007.

1. XeroLaw

XeroLaw Member

Hi. I am new to the forums, which I'm sure is more than obvious. For starters, I would like to say that I greatly enjoy this site. It has a lot of helpful topics/solutions. I've used this site for misc. information over the past few years, I just never got around to registering.

Anyway, I have tried to enable DMA in Windows XP Pro. I upgraded from Windows 98SE with the Windows XP Professional upgrade package. I only have Service Pack 1. I had a Service Pack 2 CD, however it recently was damaged.

Getting onto the DMA situation. I don't know any of the system specs. I can give you the DVD burners I have, and that's about it. This is a Compaq PC. I may be able to go to their website and see if it has any system specific information that I could give.

I have tried modifying the registry, uninstalling devices and drivers for both DVD burners and for both controllers.

Here's a list of resources I've used:
    http://www.blackmaxpc.com/Guides/Enable_DMA.htm
    http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm
    *Articles in MS Knowledge Base

MY DRIVES
    [​IMG]

If there is any other information that I can provide to help, please let me know.

Thanks to all in advance,
    Xero

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

You do not enable DMA mode under the "DVD/CD Rom Drives", you enable it under "IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers". With that open you can select the properties of "Primary IDE Channel" and "Secondary IDE Channel". Then under the "Advanced Settings" tab you will see a selection called, "Transfer Mode". This is where you need to change the setting from PIO to DMA.

After you reboot the computer make sure the properties are still set to the DMA Channel. Personally I believe that if you re-boot your machine and the channel is still set to DMA then there is not a reason to mess with the registry. Messing with the registry is dangerous unless you know what you are doing. If you decide to mess with the registry, before you do so make sure to make a system backup so that you may restore your prior settings. XP allows you to do this and should be done to make sure that if you have a device failure or problem loading your OS. Their is also a very good program that is free that you may download. The program Erunt and there is a registry optimizer. The program will make a better backup of your registry than XP will. In many cases XP omits certain items from the registry listings. You can download those programs here: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Good luck!

3. XeroLaw

XeroLaw Member

First of all the picture I included was for the purpose of drive identification only, sorry that I did not state that on my previous post. I know how to get to the actual controller settings. I will include a picture below to show you what mine looks like.

[​IMG]

Notice how there is not an Advance tab?

Erunt is for making a better backup of the Windows Registry... Got it. Will the registry program do anything like some of the registry cleaning tools and delete stuff that is old and or out dated / not needed, and will it possibly delete stuff that I do need as well?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The drives in my system are:
    Samsung SH-182M/BEBN
    Plextor PX-504A

If the Samsung drive sucks, please let me know and I will RMA it and get something else. It does burn my 4x rated Memorex DVD+Rs @ 8x though. However, using DVD Identifier it shows that it can be burned upto 8x. So I guess it's just not as stable.

Other links:
    Device Manger showing list of optical drives.
    Device Manager showing a list of optical drives and IDE Controllers on my system.
    Device Manager showing the right click pop-up menu to uninstall IDE controller.
    Device Manager showing the right click pop-up menu to get to properties.
    IDE Channel Properties showing the Uninstall option.

I used all of the above options on every CD/DVD device and IDE Controller device.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I downloaded the files you recommended.

Thank you for your time, as well as responding.

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, Erunt is just a registry backup, there is also a registry optimizer on the same page. It does not delete invalid entries in the registry, but CCleaner will do some of that.

You said that you tried uninstalling the device and then re-booting the computer? That was going to be my next idea. Let me do a little research on this and see if I can find something out about it.

The Samsung drive is alright. Personally, I would have got a Lite-On drive in it's place. Make sure that you have the latest firmware for it. You can get firmware here. Firmware

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I found this information on a website that I thought might come in handy. Make sure that you are logged in as administrator on your computer.
    Maybe this will help. Let me know!

6. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Your pics are of the primary. You should be looking at the Secondary IDE Channel for the advavced tab.

7. bkf

bkf Guest

@56
    His secondary would look the same. Something is not up to date. It's been so long sence I had SP1 Im not sure if SP2 added the missing buttons or not. I sure would like to see what the driver box says.

@Xero Just get SP2 off microsoft site. Click Start/Windows update and it should lead you to SP2 first thing Because all the other updates are based on SP2 Better then the whole SP disk. Microsoft will just load the stuff your computer needs, not the whole pack.

YOU WANT SP2 in there!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  8. ireland

ireland Active member

remember this is just info...

DMA reverts to PIO

The stuttering DVD drive
    Windows 2000 sp-4 and xp

General description
    This article also applies to Windows 2000. (Peter Frank reported successful application on Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4.)

DMA is an abbreviation for Direct Memory Access, an access method for external devices where the data transfer is not done by the central processor, but by a small special processor called DMA controller. It uses a procedure called cycle stealing, where the central processor memory access cycles are delayed for very short times to intersperse DMA controller memory access cycles. Some newer, faster DMA modes are called UDMA (Ultra DMA).

The alternative, slow and inefficient data transfer mode is called PIO, Programmed Input-Output, where the central processor transfers data byte for byte or word for word. This requires many processor commands for each data word and therefore causes a high and unwanted processor load.
    Possible causes for falling back to PIO mode

The most frequent use why a CD or DVD port falls back to PIO mode is a scratched or otherwise unreadable CD or DVD.

However, there are a few reasons why a computer may use PIO instead of DMA, particularly when it's the hard disk port that falls back, not a CD/DVD drive port. For example, David Duberman reported in 2005 that some Dell computers have DMA disabled in their BIOS by default for the second hard disk. So it is a good idea to check the BIOS settings first.

Other reasons can show up in the event log, so check this first and see if you can find repeated Atapi errors recorded. If so, you likely have a hardware defect. You can use the procedure described below, but your computer will probably fall back to PIO mode again and again, until you solve the underlying problem, which may be located inside the device, on the motherboard, or in the IDE data cable and its connectors.
    The trap

Windows contains a trap in which quite a few computers seem to get caught sooner or later. The trap was described in a Web article whose link no longer works (and also in another one mentioned below):

The crucial paragraphs are:

PIO mode is enabled by default in the following situations:
    For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device.

Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).

Of course, drive firmware being quite complex and certainly containing programming defects of its own, it is not all that difficult to produce such errors. In my case a scratched DVD and later also an unreadable (overburned) CD did the trick, got the drive to choke and Windows to disable DMA for good. Later my hard disk hiccupped just once and also went back to PIO for good.

I had been using my laptop for DVD viewing for years, until I inserted a borrowed and heavily scratched DVD. The player and apparently even the DVD drive choked on it, and when I finally got the DVD to play, I found that playing was jerky and processor load was 100%, roughly half of which was system overhead.

This indicated that the drive had reverted from the usual UDMA (Ultra Direct Memory Access) mode 2 to PIO (Programmed Input Output) mode. No amount of resetting or changing the relevant registry parameters from 1 (try DMA) to 2 (force DMA) helped. Stubbornly the drive kept using PIO mode, and Windows even changed these settings back to 0 (use PIO only).

The following text will refer to the secondary IDE port because that is more often affected, but essentially the same also holds for the primary IDE port, to which the main hard disk is connected in most computers.

Before you begin to work on the problem, log on as Administrator or as a user with administrator rights.
    Check Your IDE Port Mode

First check what mode your secondary IDE port is currently working in. Go to Device Manager: right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double-click on the secondary IDE channel, click on Extended Settings and check whether it is set to DMA when available. Directly underneath that setting is a grey field that shows the actual working mode of your IDE channel. You want the highest possible DMA or Ultra DMA mode there, and you definitely don't want PIO mode.

Normally you don't have to use the registry editor for this, because the normal settings are also available through the properties dialog for the IDE port, but if you want to look at it anyway, the parameter for the secondary IDE port can be found through regedit.exe at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1

It is named Scsi only for historic reasons. Scsi Port 0 is the primary IDE port, to which presumably your hard disk is connected.

After trying various remedies—in vain—I found the abovementioned article and went to work again. I uninstalled the DVD drive in Device Manager and rebooted, but that did not help either.

So I searched for more and better information, then I went on and did the following.
    Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor

My thanks go to my fellow MVP Alexander Grigoriev who taught me this method.

Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. You have to go through these subkeys and check the DriverDesc value until you find the proper IDE channel.

Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

2006-01-19 – Horst Schülke wrote that it is sufficient to empty the content of these values. But you can also delete the values entirely. Windows will automatically recreate them anyway, with new content.

Open Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, congratulations, you've made it (at least until the next time Windows disables DMA).

2005-10-24 – Tomáš Souèek wrote, if this doesn't work, check also the dword value MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed, whose default value is hex 0xFFFFFFFF. If you have a much smaller value, you can try to set it back to its default and reboot for a test.
    Alternative Method—Uninstalling the Port
    1. Uninstall the secondary IDE port

To do that, open Device Manager as follows. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, right-click on Secondary IDE Channel, click on Uninstall. Deactivating is not enough.

Reboot to make the changes active and permanent.

After booting Windows will automatically reinstall the IDE channel and the DVD (or CD) drive. This Plug-n-Play process can take a little while, so give it a minute after the boot process finishes.
    2. Reactivate DMA

But this is not enough, because unfortunately Windows does not automatically activate DMA on a DVD or CD drive. You have to tell Windows to try to use DMA first.

For that, go to Device Manager again. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double-click on the secondary IDE channel, click on Extended Settings and change the relevant setting from PIO only to DMA when available.

On Windows NT and 2000 you now have to reboot a second time, but Windows XP applies the change instantly. Then you can go to the same place in Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, all is well.
    3. Driver is not intended for this platform

If you keep getting the following error message, please read on:

There is a problem installing this hardware.

IDE channel

An error occurred during the installation of the device. Driver is not intended for this platform.

2005-03-30 – Johannes B. wrote: The reason for this error is often that Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% are installed. In this case the solution described below would not work. But when you uninstall these programs and then restart Windows, it will then install the device drivers without any further problems.

If these programs are not installed, then one possible way out is to rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys (or a similar path on your computer) to something like atapi.old.

If that's not possible, you can try it from the repair console (boot from the Windows install CD and select the repair console).

If Windows always automatically recreates atapi.sys, you can try renaming it in safe mode or from a command line window or you can try to rename or remove it in the driver cache as well.
    Desensitize Your Computer's IDE Channels

There's a bit more to it. The following article offers a way to reduce the incidence of this problem, although it still doesn't solve it altogether.

IDE ATA and ATAPI Disks Use PIO Mode After Multiple Time-Out or CRC Errors Occur
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/

Do read this article because it contains a useful long-term workaround. But you have to go through the procedure described here to re-enable DMA first. Assuming you've done that, insert the ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess registry values mentioned in this article into both the primary and the secondary IDE port registry keys as described.

Unfortunately this is only a half solution, because when you enter an unreadable DVD, you will get 6 errors in a row, and the IDE channel will revert to PIO mode, but at least when you pull out the DVD in time and then insert a good one, the error counter will be reset and it will at least be a bit more difficult for Windows to hobble your IDE drive.

A little warning: One user reported that by mistakenly putting the value into the parent key, rather than into one of the 0000, 0001, 0002, etc., subkeys, he was accused by Microsoft's Genuine Advantage check of using a pirated copy of Windows and therefore denied online updates.
    http://winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm

How To Enable DMA For Windows XP

For Windows XP, Direct Memory Access is not set for individual Hard Drives and CD Rom Drives as depicted above. Instead, DMA is set for the Primary IDE Channel and the Secondary IDE Channel. In short, each Channel allows us to have two devices connected for a total of four devices. These devices can be a combination of Hard Disk Drives, CD Rom Drives, CDRW Drives, DVD Drives and Tape Backup Drives etc. Therefore, if both channels are set for DMA access, then all the devices in your system will be set to use DMA.
    For Windows XP

1. Go into your Control Panel by first clicking on the Start Button.
    2. Then click on the Control Panel icon located in the right column of the Start Menu.
    3. If your Start Menu is set to the Classic View, then begin by clicking on the Start Button.
    4. Then click on Settings, then click on the Control Panel icon to open up the Control Panel.
    5. Now, Double click on the System icon to open up the System Properties window.
    6. Now click on the Hardware tab located at the top of the screen.
    7. Then click on the Device Manager button in the center area of the screen.
    8. Now click on the plus sign [+] next to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand that section.
    9. Then double click on the Primary IDE Channel to display the Primary IDE Properties window.
    10. Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.
    11. Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.
    12. Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.
    13. Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.
    14. Then double click on the Secondary IDE Channel to display the Secondary IDE Properties window.
    15. Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.
    16. Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.
    17. Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.
    18. Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.
    19. Then close Device Manager and the Control Panel to return back to your Windows session.

http://www.real-knowledge.com/dma.htm

How To Enable Direct Memory Access (DMA) In Windows

Microsoft Windows includes a Bus Mastering feature known as Direct Memory Access or DMA. When this DMA feature is enabled, it basically allows your Hard Drive and CD Rom Drive to transfer their information directly to and from memory without passing through the Microprocessor. Hence the word, Direct Memory Access. In short, when your disk drives use Direct Memory Access to access their information, this reduces the load placed upon your CPU and your system works faster.

Essentially, Direct Memory Access (DMA) is the theoretical data access rate of a Drive measured in megabytes per second. For instance, an Ultra DMA-100 Hard Drive will theoretical access data at a rate of 100 megabytes per second and an Ultra DMA-133 Drive will theoretical access data at a rate of 133 megabytes per second. Therefore, this technical brief will show you how to enable Direct Memory Access (DMA) on your Computer System.
    line
    How To Enable the DMA Setting On Your Hard Disk Drive

2. Then click on Settings and then click on the Control Panel icon.
    3. Then Double click on the System icon to open up the System Properties window.
    4. Then click on the Device Manager tab at the top of the screen.
    5. Now click on the plus sign [+] next to the Disk drives Icon to expand that section.
    6. Double click on your IDE Disk Drive to display the Properties Window.
    7. Then click on the Settings Tab located at the top of the screen.
    8. Within the Options section, You will see a white box next to DMA.
    9. Placing a check mark into this white box will enable the high speed DMA transfer setting.
    10. Clearing an existing check mark from this white box will disable the DMA transfer setting.
    11. Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.
    12. And then click on OK to exit the System Properties Window.
    13. Select Yes when Windows Prompts you to Restart your Computer now.
    14. Repeat the above procedure on any additional Hard Drives you have in your system.

How To Enable The DMA Setting On Your CD/DVD Rom Drive

2. Then click on Settings and then click on the Control Panel icon.
    3. Locate the System icon and Double click on it to open up the System Properties window.
    4. Then click on the Device Manager tab at the top of the screen.
    5. Now click on the plus sign [+] next to the CD ROM Icon to expand that section.
    6. Double click on your CD Rom Drive to display the Properties Window.
    7. Then click on the Settings tab at the top of the screen.
    8. Within the Options section, You will see a white box next to DMA.
    9. Placing a check mark into this white box will enable the high speed DMA transfer setting.
    10. Clearing an existing check mark from this white box will disable the DMA transfer setting.
    11. Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.
    12. And then click on OK to exit the System Properties Window.
    13. Select Yes when Windows Prompts you to Restart your Computer now.
    14. Repeat the above procedure on any additional CD/DVD Rom Drives you have in your system.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  9. XeroLaw

XeroLaw Member

First of all THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH for all of your help.

I am an admin on this computer, I'm the only one who uses this computer. I had an SP2 disc, however it was damaged. I install everything that way I never have to install extra stuff later. I have dial-up so it would take me forever to download it.

For everyone the pictures are examples. I did the same thing with the secondary channel, and both optical devices. Therefore, I did the uninstall for everything. Does this basically mean that I'm going to have to start fresh and re-install Windows in order to fix this?

As for the text that doesn't have links to it, the upper half can still be found at Microsoft

This is the registry edit I did. I pretty much copied everything, even doing the Enable UDMA 100. My next step will to probably check out this registry edit which, from what little I've read, seems slightly different.

Also, I've heard that you can really screw up a drive changing firmware. What are the odds of that happening? I do READ and FOLLOW directions to the T when I do anything I don't know too much about. Before I go to update the firmware; 1) should I go to the manufacturer's website, 2) should I RMA the drive to NewEgg and get a different drive? I will buy a $150 drive IF it is what I need.

10. XeroLaw

XeroLaw Member

Thanks Ireland. I actually had all I said typed up before you posted, but I had a important matter at hand that I had to take care of, therefore being auto logged out due to inactivity. However, I did read the majority of your info and I will print it so that I can read it all when I have time to do so.

Thanks once again.

11. syxguns

syxguns Active member

XeroLaw-

As ireland pointed out and something that is a little confusing to me is that you do not have the "Advanced Settings" tab in your IDE Channel Properties.

bfk mentioned that the update to SP2 is very important.

Try to do an update at microsoft.com to get SP2 installed. As long as you have a legitimate copy of XP then their shouldn't be a problem. It may be that bfk is correct when he said that possibly that was an added attachment that came with SP2. I honestly don't remember either.

As far as your drive goes, it won't have anything to do with the DMA issue. That choice is up to you. If you decide to change your drive I would go with a BenQ or Lite-On drive, but Samsung is not a bad drive. As far as firmware goes, only update it if there is an update available. The link I gave you earlier is a good place to get firmware updates.

Let us know how it goes. You said that you were on dial-up, so I would install SP2 over night while you are sleeping. It is a more secure package than SP1.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  12. ireland

ireland Active member

XeroLaw

sp-2 does fix some issues with the ATA/ATAPI Controller's
    i would try to get sp-2 and install it..

also using a windows xp upgrade from 98 to xp is not a good idea..
    a xp-install only is the way to go..

good night..to ye all..

13. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Sorry if this sounds like a smart ass remark.

KISS [Keep it simple stupided]

Did you add these DVDs to you system yourself.
    If so you to take a look at the cable and master/slave setup.

14. XeroLaw

XeroLaw Member

I know what KISS means. It's actually an acronym used by the U.S. Army. It's not a SA remark either. Yes I did install them myself, I also checked the jumpers. I know how to install drives and stuff. I've taken several systems completely apart and put them back together and I've never had a problem with any systems.

I used my SP2 disc, my Samsung read past the pin holes in the disc as well as any and all scratches. Nothing has changed with SP2 really. After I post this, I'll post a log.

15. XeroLaw

XeroLaw Member

Nero InfoTool 4.03

Drive Information
    ------------------
    Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M
    Type : DVD-RAM Recorder
    Firmware Version : SB03
    Buffer Size : 2 MB
    Date : ?
    Serial Number : SH-S182MFirmware
    Vendor Specific : 1117
    Drive Letter : D:\
    Mechanism : Tray
    Read Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 9 , 8 , 4 X
    Write Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 8 , 4 X

Read CD Text : Yes
    Return C2 Pointers : Yes
    Read CD-R : Yes
    Read CD-RW : Yes
    Read DVD-ROM : Yes
    Read DVD-RAM : Yes
    Read DVD-R : Yes
    Read DVD-RW : Yes
    Read DVD-R DL : Yes
    Read DVD+R : Yes
    Read DVD+RW : Yes
    Read DVD+R DL : Yes
    Read BD-ROM : No
    Read BD-R : No
    Read BD-RE : No
    Read HD DVD-ROM : No
    Read HD DVD-R : No
    Read HD DVD-RW : No
    Read HD-BURN : No
    Read Digital Audio : Yes
    Read CD+G : Yes
    Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
    Write CD-RW : Yes
    Write DVD-R : Yes
    Write DVD-RW : Yes
    Write DVD-R DL : Yes
    Write DVD+R : Yes
    Write DVD+RW : Yes
    Write DVD+R DL : Yes
    Write DVD-RAM : Yes
    Write BD-R : No
    Write BD-RE : No
    Write HD DVD-R : No
    Write HD DVD-RW : No
    Write HD-BURN-R : No
    Write HD-BURN-RW : No
    Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
    Mount Rainier : Yes
    SolidBurn : No
    Labelflash : No
    Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW DAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
    Region : 1
    Changes User : 4
    Changes Vendor : 4

Drive Information
    ------------------
    Drive : PLEXTOR DVDR PX-504A
    Type : DVD+R/RW Recorder
    Firmware Version : 1.00
    Buffer Size : 2 MB
    Serial Number
    Vendor Specific : 03020600
    Drive Letter : E:\
    Read Speed : 40 , 32 , 24 , 10 X
    Write Speed : 16 , 8 , 4 X

Read DVD-RAM : No
    Read DVD-R DL : No
    Read DVD+R DL : No

Write CD-R : Yes
    Write CD-RW : Yes
    Write DVD-R : No
    Write DVD-RW : No
    Write DVD-R DL : No
    Write DVD+R : Yes
    Write DVD+RW : Yes
    Write DVD+R DL : No
    Write DVD-RAM : No
    Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
    Mount Rainier : No
    Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 96

Region : 1
    Changes User : 4

Drive Information
    ------------------
    Drive : BT5604F ZVZ590U
    Type : DVD-ROM Drive
    Firmware Version : 1.0
    Buffer Size : 512 KB
    Serial Number
    Vendor Specific : +¨@
    Drive Letter : H:\
    Read Speed : 32 , 8 X
    Write Speed : n/a

Write CD-R : No
    Write CD-RW : No
    Write DVD+R : No
    Write DVD+RW : No
    Buffer Underrun Protection : No
    Modes : n/a

Region : None
    Changes User : 5

Drive Information
    ------------------
    Drive : BT5604F ZVZ590U
    Type : DVD-ROM Drive
    Firmware Version : 1.0
    Buffer Size : 512 KB
    Serial Number
    Vendor Specific : +¨@
    Drive Letter : I:\
    Read Speed : 32 , 8 X
    Write Speed : n/a

Write CD-R : No
    Write CD-RW : No
    Write DVD+R : No
    Write DVD+RW : No
    Buffer Underrun Protection : No
    Modes : n/a

Region : None
    Changes User : 5

Interface Information
    ---------------------
    Adapter 1
    ---------
    Description : Primary IDE Channel

Driver
    Description : System32\DRIVERS\IdeChnDr.sys
    Company : Intel Corporation
    Version : 2.2.0.2126, 04/10/2002
    Description : Intel Application Accelerator Driver

Attached Devices
    Description : Master: SAMSUNG SV1022D
    Type : Disk Drive
    DMA : On
    Description : Slave: WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0
    DMA : Off

Adapter 2
    ---------
    Description : Secondary IDE Channel

Driver
    Description : System32\DRIVERS\IdeChnDr.sys
    Company : Intel Corporation
    Version : 2.2.0.2126, 04/10/2002
    Description : Intel Application Accelerator Driver

Attached Devices
    Description : Master: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M
    Type : CD-Rom Drive
    DMA : On
    Autorun : Off
    Description : Slave: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-504A
    DMA : Off

Adapter 3
    ---------
    Description : Unknown Adapter

Driver
    Description
    Company : n/a
    Version : n/a
    Description : n/a

Attached Devices
    Description : ID 0 (0): BT5604F ZVZ590U 1.0
    Description : ID 1 (0): BT5604F ZVZ590U 1.0

Adapter 4
    ---------
    Description : Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444

Driver
    Description : System32\DRIVERS\usbuhci.sys
    Company : Microsoft Corporation
    Version : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Description : UHCI USB Miniport Driver

Attached Devices
    Description : USB DISK 20X USB Device
    Description : SanDisk Cruzer Mini USB Device

Software Information
    --------------------
    Operating System : Windows XP Professional (5.01.2600 Service Pack 2)
    Language : English
    ANSI Code Page : 1252
    OEM Code Page : 437
    DirectX : DirectX 9.0c

Description : Nero Burning ROM
    Version : 6, 3, 0, 2
    Company : Ahead Software AG
    Version Check : Ok

Description : Nero StartSmart
    Version : 1, 0, 1, 2

Description : Cover Designer
    Version : 2, 3, 0, 4

Description : Nero BackItUp Application
    Version : 1, 2, 0, 1

Description : InCD CD-RW UDF Tools
    Version : 3.38.1
    Company : Copyright (C) ahead software gmbh and its licensors

Description : DirectCD
    Version : 6, 0, 0, 1
    Company : Roxio Inc.,

Hardware Information
    --------------------
    CPU : Pentium 4 processor 1700 MHz 1700 MHz
    Bus Speed : 400 MHz
    Motherboard : Compaq 077Ch
    System : Compaq
    BIOS : Compaq 686Y2 v1.05
    Memory : 767 MB
    Sound : SoundMAX Digital Audio
    Video : NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)

ASPI Information
    ----------------
    System ASPI : ASPI file(s) are missing

WNASPI32.DLL : 4.60 (1021) 45056 bytes September 10, 1999
    WINASPI.DLL : 4.60 (1021) 5600 bytes September 10, 1999

Nero ASPI : ASPI is installed and working properly

WNASPI32.DLL : 2.0.1.59 160016 bytes December 16, 2003

Installed OS Patches
    --------------------
    (Q810090) USB Update : Yes
    (Q329112) Multi-Border DVD with More Than 4 GB of Data Not Readable Past First Border : Yes
    (Q812415) Problems with Multiple ATA devices : No
    (Q322359) Intelide.sys Is Not Used on Computers with ICH4 or ICH5 : No
    (Q320174) IMAPI Update - CDs recorded have missing files or errors : Yes
    (Q311542) Devices May not power up properly when resuming from standby : Yes
    (Q327086) Data Added to Removable Media During Hibernation May Be Lost When You Resume Windows XP : Yes
    (Q308374) Ricoh 1394 Controller May Not Work with Windows XP : No
    (Q314634) Windows XP Does Not Detect Your New USB Device : Yes
    (Q822603) USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 update : Yes
    (Q323507) Your IEEE 1394 or USB CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive May Not Be Recognized in Windows XP : No
    (Q815834) 'Code 28' Error Message and a Yellow Exclamation Mark Next to a USB Device in Device Manager After Your Computer Resumes from Hibernation : No
    (Q316575) Problems When You Swap a CD-ROM During Hibernation in Windows XP : No
    (Q811789) Surprise Removal of 1394 Device Can Cause Bluescreen Error : No
    (Q323322) Cannot Use Sony VAIO PCG-C1MRX Internal Camera with Windows Messenger After You Apply Q316397 : Yes
    (Q811789) Surprise Removal of 1394 Device Can Cause Bluescreen Error : No

16. 56delray

56delray Regular member

1] InCD and Roxio - I would unistall both.
    2] I think there is a later BIOS. BIOS Link
    3] What is the Intel chipset? [845,850 or 865]
    Identifying Your Intel® Chipset

Edit
    RoxiZap

If the chipset is not an 865 there is a update for the Intel Application Accelerator Driver.
    If it is a 865 you may have the wrong driver.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007