1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot FINALIZE Panasonic DMR-ES20 DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by DMRES20, Feb 17, 2008.

1. DMRES20

DMRES20 Member

My DMR-ES20 unit failed after 1.5 years (bad video out). I have many recorded DVDs that were never finalized, and remain in the native Panasonic "intermediate" format that is incompatible with the DVD player/recorders that I have tried. Can you tell me which other Panasonic (or other) DVD recorders are available that would be able to finalize these discs? Thanks you.

2. westside1

westside1 Member

hi,

i had a DMR ES10 and then bought an ES20 which I'm not happy with.

however, I did have 1 old ES10 un-finalized disk which I was able to finalize in the ES20.

So I am guessing that an ES10 can finalize discs recorded in ES20.
    Perhaps even an ES15 or ES25 which are newer models than the ES20 (although the numbering is confusing - you may want to check which are the more recent ones ES20 vs. ES15/ES25).

3. Cyclone16

Cyclone16 Member

I got the same problem too What to do. it worked for a year then stopped finalizing.If you got a fix let me know

Thanks

4. DMRES20

DMRES20 Member

I received this from Panasonic: "Thank you for your inquiry. We recommend you view our 2007 product line. Our newest units are capable of finalizing a disc recorded on another Panasonic DVD Recorder." So, it looks like I'll have to buy another of the current models. I have noted that WalMart no longer carries Panasonic DVRs, I'll bet they had too many returns. I want to say that the recording quality was great, but there were firmware glitches (I did upgrade that). The hardware is just cheap. If you want the latest firmware, Google "DMR-ES20" firmware update. You have to make a CD which will update the unit, it was pretty easy, but ultimately ineffective.

5. Cyclone16

Cyclone16 Member

So the lastest firmware will not fix the finalizing problem, It records great on dvd ram disc no problem but will not play in other dvd player, Have you replaced your DMR ES20 with anything that is good?

6. DMRES20

DMRES20 Member

I don't think there are ANY reliable DVR's or even DVD players out there. I had a $400 Sony DVD player, it was great for maybe 2.5 years. The hardware is so cheap, and the surface-mount method of circuit design is not as reliable as the solder-through methods that nothing lasts. At least the DVR's are fairly cheap. I think I paid about $150 for my DMR-ES20 , now over two years ago.

7. DMRES20

DMRES20 Member

I got a reply on another forum that might help you. If it works, I'll come back to this forum and let you know. Just to be clear, my problem is in the video out. I can't even see the menus to try the actual finalizing. I did have occasional problem with finalizing. It would freeze up, and have to be unplugged, sometimes this trashed the disc. The unit just seems to have a lot of glitches, another problem I had frequently was the copyguard would activate unexpectedly when I was pausing during record, for example. So, I worked around by just recording commercials and everything. Good luck, I'll let you know if anything changes.
    -------------------
    (Post from another forum in reply to my problem)
    I have a ES20 and started having problems with the Date and time changing or reseting. I do have a year left on Circuit City extended warranty but called Panasonic first. They sent a firmware update which seems to fix the problem. One thing it changed unless I never noticed it before was the Thumbnail viewing of a unfinalized DVD from a ES10. You should be able to finalized your DVD's in another model. They should be backwards compatiable. I have done it since I do have 3 Panasonic DVD Recorders. On yours you should do a reset to see if the video comes back. Your manual should tell you. My ES20 shortly after I got it did that and got hung up on a non composite output. Press and hold the Cancel key on the remote. If this does not work tune the recorder to a channel and simultaneously hold the Channel up and down buttons on the front panel for 15 secs. or until the unit powers off. When it powers back on the First Time Setup screen should be displayed. Make sure your cables are good and plugged to the video in on TV. Have you tried it on another TV set?