1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot find Fragmented file

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by satreeves, Oct 5, 2007.

1. satreeves

satreeves Member

I ran disk defrag and when it was finished, it told me I have a file that could not be defragmented. I don't need the file anymore, so I figured I would just delete the folder and file. It is located directly under C drive so I searched for that folder, but I can't find it.

I did a thorough search (using Windows Explorer) including system folders and hidden files and folders. Nothing comes up.

When i try to create a folder of the same name in the c drive it says the folder already exists. The folder occupies around 700mb from my 40 gb hard disk which i cant afford.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

hmm, try running a search for it? I know that there are programs out there that allow you to see every file in the root of C, like the boot.ini and other important files. I think you should try running a search for it.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What's it called? It might be a system-hidden file. Believe me, there are files that are still hidden with show hidden files enabled.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

There is a separate option in Folder Options to show operating system files, but it isn't a good idea to uncheck that box.

@satreeves: How do you know that you don't need the file anymore?

5. satreeves

satreeves Member

try running a search for it?

i did with all options checked but it just doesnt show up.
    all the hidden system files are visible but not this folder.

the only evidence of its existense is through disk defrag report.

What's it called?

The folder name is called Schindler's list (do you think my system needs it) which contains the avi file by the same name with 225 fragments.

i have done chksk several times with the hope that it will remove those bad sectors(they look like one) but it does not help