1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot find "Quality Settings"

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Jerome283, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Jerome283

Jerome283 Member

The webpage http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_copy_dvd_movie_with_dvd_shrink_page_4.cfm describes what to do with DVD Shrink to improve the compression when burning a decrypted video to a 4.7 DVD.

In my case, backing up one of movie DVDs, I first decrypted it using DVD Decrypter. Then, in DVD Shrink 3.2, after just selecting the movie without any of the extras, languages, subtitles, etc. I am still at 93.5% compressing setting. So I sought to improve things by modifying the "Quality Settings" as described in the guide on that page. However, on my installation of DVD Shrink 3.2, there is no tab similar to what is shown in that guide.

Does DVD Shrink 3.2 have such a setting page? How to access it?

If not, is the guide based on a different version? Where can I download it from.

Thank you.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Make sure you are using Version 3.2.0.15 first.

If so, then the Quality Settings Tab will be found on the Backup DVD menu.
    This menu appears after you click the "Backup!" icon.

93.5% is good enough to backup without using the quality settings. But that's just my opinion.

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

4. Jerome283

Jerome283 Member

Thank you for the rapid reply. Yes, I checked and am using Version 3.2.0.15. I was afraid to click on "Backup" because I thought that would immediately start burning to the DVD, but I just tried it and - of course you are correct.

Thank you.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

When Shrink was upgraded, it was more additions than actual changes in the software. Additions were made to the backup menu, in particular the Quality Settings. Backup still gives the menu once clicked as you learned. Re-author still does the editing. What's new is that you can do menus and movie only by using Still Image in compression settings to edit. Plus Shrink was updated to work with DVD9. AEC and deep analysis are additional changes to improve quality under compression. The level you're at doesn't require much compression, so the extra time would more than likely be a waste, if the settings can even be used at that level. You can find guides all over the place that show how DVD Shrink works. Just be aware that the few changes made for the ugrade to 3.2 are also there if you don't see a newer guide. http://www.dvdshrink.info used to have some good quickstart guides and some interactive. BTW, if Decrypter is all you have for decryption, you need to check out RipIt4Me. Decrypter alone is obsolete for some of the newer protection systems on DVDs, i.e. some Sony and Disney releases. There are others, those 2 just readily come to mind.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

If dvd shrink shows you 93.5 on the compression setting,then you only compressing it 6.5%.

After clicking backup,click on the quality tab.You'll see the Quality setting for Perform Deep analysis. Below that,you'll see the Dvd Shrink 3.2 quality enhancements-Max smoothness,Max sharpness,Sharp default,etc.

When shrink shows 100,you have no compression so those quality enhancements will be grayed out. After clicking backup,shrink encodes to harddrive and burns. Very fast backup time. 100 is my goal. Reathoring main movie only,cut out all unnecessary sound streams,sub picture,beginning-ending credits,and anything else.

When it dips below 99,those quality enhancements will be lit up and all you do is tick or untick..

10% compression isn't very noticeable. Below that,you may want to think about trying the quality enhancements. Ticking deep analysis and another quality setting like Max Sharpness will slow you down. After clicking backup,it'll slowly analyze,then encode,then burn.

The more compression,the longer the backup process time,but those quality enhancements do give you a better looking backup during playback.

Why rip with decrypter and then use dvd shrink?

I bypass the ripping with dvd decrypter step. Since most movies are dvd-9's and have to be compressed,dvd shrink will rip and compress most of them. You can even set dvd shrink up to autoburn with nero,copytodvd,ImgBurn,or dvd decrypter so it looks like you have a 1 program process. Insert original disc,open shrink,backup.After burning,your disc spits out and insert blank disc. Dual drives,even easier.

Both dvd decrypter and dvd shrink won't rip some of the newer releases from: Disney,Pixar,Columbia,sony.

Now if you got some smaller dvd-5/low budget flicks: Dvd shrink will show you 100 after open the disc. You can keep everything and still be under 4.38 gbs. There's an easy process to do this:

Dvd Decrypter- Rip using Mode ISO read to harddrive-remember where those files go. Takes approx 5 mins to rip.

Open up ImgBurn,locate the movie from your HD,open up the MDS files,set burn speed and burn away.

That's also the exact same way I do my Dual layer backups.

7. Jerome283

Jerome283 Member

Thank you all for all the help. Very helpful. So far DVD decrypter has worked for me and I was unaware of RipIt4Me and will get it as extra security. Thanks again.
    Will try DVD shrink alone as one step too. I was just following a how-to guide I found on the internet.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Back in the day when both DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink were still being supported, the author of Shrink realized his decryption software wasn't always the best. When trouble came up with decryption and copy protection (not always the same) he suggested the user try DVD Decrypter. Nowadays with the new copy protections being added, Shrink is just not going to do it alone, at least not in a lot of cases with Sony, Disney and some of the other studioes' later releases. That's already a proven fact. Even with RI4M it isn't 100% with just a few of the new copy protections. But with the 1 click and wizard of the RI4M, that's the way to go with Shrink.

I set up RI4M for a computer illiterate friend not long ago. He's been doing Sony releases and bragging about it to some of his buddies who can't get it done. Point being, the setup is easy and works like a single 1 click app when installed properly.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

http://www.RipIt4Me.org
    just in case. The latest Shrink and Decrypter should be installed and use the RI4M installer. Let the program check for updates, that way you won't get caught behind when it's updated.

10. Jerome283

Jerome283 Member

Thank you all. I'm new at this and learned a lot.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Nice of you to thank us and you're welcome. Saugmon, laddyboy, and fasfrank have put in a lot of time helping members here at AD.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007