1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot get harddrive to spin down

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by kenji776, Jan 15, 2005.

1. kenji776

kenji776 Guest

Hey everyone, I need to know if there is other ways to unlock the xbox hard drive than just letting it spin down at the dashboard because I don't have a dashboard cause i scewed up. Is there any pc application that can unlock a harddrive, for pc or mac? Or can you wait at any screen on the xbox for a while so the HD will spin down? Please help!

2. 121flame

121flame Member

if your OS is busted then all i suggest is that if you can, take all your games(if any)and other files of onto your pc through ftp and re-format the HDD if possible.

3. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

YOu can do a hotswap to connect your HDD to PC and copy your file out. You need to know the HDD key in order to unlock it. Or, use ATAPWD to wipe it clean. Or, get a mod chip and boot from DVD...

4. 121flame

121flame Member

your xbox crystal(i have one aswell), are they all v1.6 cuz i really need to find the correct tutorial for the instalation of my spyder of xenium ice

5. kenji776

kenji776 Guest

Hmm I can't unlock the harddrive man, thats the problem. I can't really hotswap because the PC cannot see the harddrive if it isn't unlocked. I can't FTP into it because my freaking dashboard is corrupt so I can't get into it that way. Doesn't bother me though, I don't really care about backing stuff up, I just want my harddrive to work again.

6. 121flame

121flame Member

eeeeerm, well im stuck on this 1 from this point on :p

7. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

You can hotswap you HDD to your PC then fix your dashboard from your PC. You do not need to unlock you HDD.

8. big_g-man

big_g-man Regular member

why can't you just make a boot disc with evox or something on it? you can use that to reformat the hard drive.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  9. kenji776

kenji776 Guest

How do i get my pc to see the freaking harddrive? I have taken it out and hooked it up but no pc or mac sees it. I have tried many apps and everything but never once have i got my pc to see my harddrive, i thought it needed to be unlocked for my pc to be able to access it.

10. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

hot-swap is the trick that allows your PC to see your xbox hard drive without unlocking it, Here is the step:
    1, have your PC and xbox next to each other, both box open so that you can access to the hdd easily
    2. power up your xbox, un-plug the IDE cable from the xbox hdd
    3. power up your PC
    4. connect the IDE cable from PC to your xbox hdd

on step 4, use the second IDE cable of your PC to avoid conflicting with your primary disk

If you have Windows XP running, it will recognize the new hdd in less than a minute. But unable to recognize the files because Windows does not recognize the FATX file system. But you can find the FATX tools that allow you to read and write to the disk using the FATX explorer.

11. kenji776

kenji776 Guest

Thanks much man I will give that a shot. I never knew about the fatx thing. That is why i couldn't get my freaking pc to see the damn harddrive before. Thanks much man I hope this works.

12. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Exactly! make an evox boot disc and power up your xbox with the disc in your tray.Dash [bold]will[/bold] be up and running and you can transfer the dash files on to your xbox harddrive again.You can delete the corrupt ones at the same time.

13. kenji776

kenji776 Guest

I don't know how many times i gotta say it, not to be rude but I DO NOT HAVE A MODDED XBOX, SOFTMODDED OR OTHERWISE! seeing as xbox cannot run unsigned code if it is not modded and evox and shit are not signed code i cannot run them. Unless I am missing something seriously here, evox and such will do me no good right now.

14. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

You can get a cheap modchip to solve your problem. An Aladdin is less than $20. Try www.eurasia.nu. I bought several from them not too long ago.