1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot open Onedrive

Discussion in 'Windows 8 discussion' started by durkinjt, Mar 12, 2015.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Just installed Win8.1,When I try to open Onedrive I get an error message "Cannot upload file path too long". Need a little help. T.I.A.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Did you get it sorted,it's telling you to shorten the name it can also be due to a folder that includes subfolders with names of files that combine exceed the allowed character limit
    example:lets say max allowed limit is 50

combined length is over 50 characters incl extension,without any sort of character editor when uploading to auto shorten names the upload will fail

My stuff/Monthly Contents/February 04-02-2015/set 1.txt

so you'll have to modify to shorten overall length like below (these / denote separation due to a folder & or files,for this exercise it shows 3 folders & 1 by text file

My Stuff/Mthly Contents/Feb 04-02-2015/set 1.txt

my stuff = main folder
    mthly contents = sub folder inside my stuff
    feb 04-02-2015 = sub folder inside mthly contents
    set 1.txt = text file inside sub folder feb 04-02-2015

3. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks for the reply. I haven't gotten anything indicating what you shorten, only get the message that it cannot upload.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

see in my first post the txt file.
    It is the 4th however to get to it you'd have to open 3 folders (the forward slash denotes a folder,it is always before a folder name there is a forward slash missing from my above examples this is how it should look /My Stuff/Mthly Contents/Feb 04-02-2015/set 1.txt ) that means its 3 deep.
    lets pretend i'm getting the error message you have about path length,what i'd have to do is move the txt file up 1 folder or more till i stopped getting the error & the file uploaded,problems can occur if you have rar's.Best thing to do is set windows to classic theme & enable file path in explorer title bar,this will show you the path length in full including the hard drive letter (open a drive letter in my computer places you in the root of that drive) so move the file you want to upload directly to the root of any hard drive or partition as this will shorten the path