1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot open or uninstall program

Discussion in 'Windows 8 discussion' started by durkinjt, Jul 8, 2013.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

I just installed Win 8, Chameleon Clock, a reminder program that pops up when an appointment is due, will not open, when I try to uninstall it, I get the

message that the program is open and must be closed to uninstall, cannot find it to close it, another WIn 8 nightmare, used this program for years without a

problem, any help appreciated.It was always hidden in the start menu, when putting the cursor on the start area it would pop up, now nothing?

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Does Windows 8 have a Task Manager? I use Win 7 so am not well versed in 8. But anyway, open the Manager and look for the running file you want to stop and just end it. Then you should be able to uninstall it.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

could also look in services & disable it or attempt removal in safe mode,not on my win 7 machine at the mo so give this a go

using "run" in start menu or "command prompt" type services.msc right clik on offending software & select disable

another option is use ccleaner to disable startup of it or use msconfig to disable it there

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  4. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks for the replies,I found on the top right of the screen barely visible, was always on bottom of screen!!

5. Martina11

Martina11 Newbie

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Welcome to the forum martina.
    Always check the date of the last post as well as the start date of the topic,you've replied too as this thread has had no activity for over a year it wil also means your suggestion isn't going to help,not to mention the OP's problem is also a little more complicated than just simply using install/uninstall in windows

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i smell a possible spammer.

8. Paul Meier

Paul Meier Newbie

I suggest that you can reuse windows 7, windods 8 is sometimes not particularly convenient, or familiarize yourself with windows 8, with a long time will you get used to it.

htc m8 mini handyh├╝lle

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014