1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Cannot open the file after upgrading Windows

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by GeOn3, Aug 29, 2017.

1. GeOn3

GeOn3 Newbie

Hi.
    I have upgraded my Lenovo laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. But after upgrading i cannot open one very important pst file which was on my flash drive.
    Getting a message saying 'Outlook.pst can not be accessed - 0x80040116'.

Any thoughts please?
    Thanks

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Yeah, go back to Windows 8.1, or better yet, Windows 7.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If the pst is from win 7 or win 8.Download an untouched iso of 7 or 8 from a torrent & install it into a virtual machine.import the emails to outlook then create a cloud email account like outlook.com etc.Send them all there

4. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I suppose that if you are in your 20s, 30s, 40s, or 50s, it might be a good idea for a person to be dumb enough to upgrade to the latest and greatest, but once you reach your 60s, and beyond, you realize that there is absolutely no need to upgrade your OS. And, from what I have read, Windows 10 is the worst OS that you could update to. I have seen it, and I would not touch it with a 10' pole. I think that anyone who upgrades to Windows 10 is either nuts in the head, or has a death wish. :( Or both.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

actually win 8 is the worst.

aldan likes this.
  7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Win 10 is more usable once classicshell is installed.Then again i only use win 10 to play farcry 4 since it black screens in win 7.Those new chips i.e ryzen etc most probably won't support win 7,which is a crying frak'n shame

8. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

Yah, I could've stuck with W7 for a lifetime probably, one of the best OS's MS ever released. I've beta tested since W2K and I think I installed W7 builds at least 20 or more times, but W7 RTM was the best I think we'll ever see. I went to W10 for one simple reason, it was free...I lived with the upgrade install for about 4 months and went thru HELL with it! Buggiest frikkin thing EVER! Graphics issues, half the shit in Settings didn't even show up, things overlapped, sliders didn't work, programs mysteriously uninstalled themselves, Start menu was a mess, problem after problem finally drove me to do a Clean install of 10. After that, life kinda settled down and while I would still prefer W7, I can live with 10 for what I need these days...we'll see how much longer that lasts tho...LOL!

Never went there...glad I didn't! It is the ONLY MS OS that I have never installed, even for a trial on a VM. I had a bad feeling about that one right from the get go. Usually I would have beta tested 8 as well, but shit was going sideways in life at the time and when I finally started thinking about it, some initial beta testers I trusted, told me not to even bother, that they were sorry they did. People hated Vista as well, but I never had an issue with it, I enjoyed some of it's fresh new features and I love colour, so this "almost" made me disregard those friends and go for W8 anyway, like I said...glad I didn't.

I might give that shell a try, there's still some things in 10's GUI that I F'n HATE!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2017
  9. ddp

next time edit your post instead of doing 3 posts in a row. never tried vista or win8\8.1 on my computers.

10. aldan

aldan Active member

me either ddp.winxp,7,and 10.maybe just lucky but ive had no issues with 10.in fact i prefer it to win7.never thought id say that.lol

11. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

Yah, sorry bud, prolly just a little lazy today because that was my original intention.

12. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I do like Windows 7 Pro. It is faster than Windows XP, but there are some things that XP is better at. One is copy or cut and paste, but there are a couple of others things that I don't remember at the moment.

Anyway, I hope that I don't have to ever upgrade to a newer OS than Win 7. I am getting too long in the tooth to do it anymore.

13. ddp

I find it the same in win7 as compared to xp.

14. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It all depends where you are doing it. There are some places that the right click for pasting is not there. I don't remember where, right now. It hasn't been a good day health wise. Tomorrow will be better.

15. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

We certainly hope so Gramps, sorry to hear that you're not feeling too good...
    Here's a hearty Cheers to help you on that quest!

On a different subject, I wonder how the OP did on fixing his problem? We haven't heard back from the OP, the link I posted should have helped him I think.
    Wouldn't it be super nice if OP's actually came back to let you know what's happening?
    Fat chance eh!

16. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Thanks, Chappy TTV, but with the Agent Orange taking over my body, it isn't going to get better. I am fighting to just maintain what I have now, and I have been successful for the most part.

17. mtassis

mtassis Newbie

Outlook error 0x80040116 is considered as a most common error of Outlook. This error generally occurs when the index of pst file gets damaged somehow. If we talk about the reason, then a pst data file or its structure can be damaged due to a number of reasons like improper shutdown, sudden loss of power, large size of the file, virus, etc.
    First of all try to start the “ScanPST.exe”. Click the “Browse” button to select the PST file to be repaired. Next, click “Start” to begin the checking process. The application will start checking the file and show the progress. If the method mentioned above still cannot solve your problem,a rather experienced software named Online.FileRepair.Outlook can help you.

18. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

You can insert the USB to another PC which is windows 10 too, if it's good, maybe your Windows OS is bad, if not, you should check the USB or the file in your USB, maybe you media player can't detect the USB file, you can use one video converter to change the video formats and try again.