1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot re-install Windows

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by durkinjt, Mar 6, 2015.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

I have a program called Tweaking.Com, it has an option to run Chkdsk at boot. Last time I
    rebooted the program got to 10% than stopped, tried rebooting several times and no change.
    Tried to reset to factory by using my Win 7 disk(I used this disk on this computer several
    times in the past as the F9 key does not reset to factory), When the disk is finished the
    installation I get an error message, "Computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an
    unexpected error. To install windows click OK and restart". This just keeps repeating , will
    not install. Any help greatly appreciated. Compute is a HP6142, i3, 650HD, 8G Ram

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

see if you can do a scandisk on the hard drive as sounds like bad sectors. take the ram out & use a pencil eraser on the gold contact of the ram sticks. if a laptop then the drive can be connected to your sata port & power cable of your tower.