1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot read DVD+R/RW

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Chris84, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Chris84

Chris84 Guest

Hello everyone!
    I have had some serious and extremely annoying problems during the last month trying to get my new CD/DVD-writer to work. I am using a GSA-4040B from LG to write everything from mp3:s to DVD-rips. The drive is supposed to write all different kinds of cdformats. My problem is: when I'm insterting a DVD+R- or DVD+RWdisc into my drive, the driveicon doesn't change to "DVD+R" or "DVD+RW" to show what kind of disc I've inserted. I have used all types of CD- and DVD-discs and the the drive always responds by showing information about what type of disc I've inserted. The only time the drive doesn't react is when I insert a clean DVD+R disc. These are the measures I've taken this far:

1. I've formated my computer
    2. I've updated the drive on LG:s homepage.
    3. I used Nero InfoTool to search thrue the drive finding only that the drive IS supposed to both read and write DVD+R/RW.
    4. I uninstalled the drive, rebooted and let Windows install it again.
    5. I used the discs recomended by LG when I tried to burn a DVD+R.

The problem must have something to do with the drive not being able to read the DVD+R-discs because everything is working perfectly in Nero. I know I am burning the videofiles right. When I choose disc info in Nero it shows the correct discinformation. It always says "burning process completed successfully..." at the end, but after that, when I try to look at the files written to the disc the drive says "0 bytes free space" and "0 bytes used space" and I am not able to look at the disccontent in a DVD-player.

This problem is driving me mad, expecially since I'm able to write DVD-R which my DVD player can't read :(

PLEASE help me someone!!

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I share your frustration. Did you use 'test drive' in Nero with a DVD+R or DVD+RW to check how they are hooked up?

3. Chris84

Chris84 Guest

Hello Scf!
    No I haven't tried that. In which of the Neroprograms can you test the drive?

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

At NeroStartSmart, highlight 'Extras' from the top icons.

5. Chris84

Chris84 Guest

Ok. Something seems to be wrong. When I try to test the drive in "Nero CD-DVD speed" I get this message:
    "Cannot simulate with this type of disc". I guess something's got to be wrong with the drive since the "disc info"-option shows me exactly what kind of disc I've inserted (a DVD+R), it even shows that the manufacturer is Ricoh. What do you think?

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Frankly I don't have a clue as your first post has basically ruled out all possibilities.
    May be you can try two more things:
    1) borrow some + discs to see if your computer can at least read them
    2) try burning with other programs

7. Chris84

Chris84 Guest

I allready tried two or three different +discs and I'm sure Nero is not the problem. It will have to be service... But thanks anyway scf!