1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot read UMDs

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by AR15Doug, Dec 12, 2007.

1. AR15Doug

AR15Doug Member

I have a psp that has a brand new UMD laser in it, and it still won't play any UMDs. It is an IC6001 model.

It keeps giving me the "disc cannot be read error". It currently has 3.0.3 fw on it that is unmodded. I can see the laser moving left to right and the head moving up and down, but I don't see any red light on the laser being on. Is it a motherboard issue? Everything else works on it. I do know that it could've been upgraded and messed up before I got it, since I did the download of ver 3.0.3 on it last December.

Thanks.

2. MonoSoft

MonoSoft Regular member

did you fit the laser yourself? or did someone else fit it for you?
    either way, you may have left one of the connectors undone in the laser (there's two) or you might not have screwed all 5 screws into the laser (three on the rotator: one on the cogs and another further up near the laser).

3. AR15Doug

AR15Doug Member

It was actually a brand new UMD drive that I put in the PSP. I did it myself, but I'll have to take it apart and look at it again.

Is there any chance that the motherboard is to blame though? Since it's an unmodded PSP with 3.0.3 on it, is there anyway to do a recovery reset on it?

Thanks,
    Doug

4. MonoSoft

MonoSoft Regular member

i doubt it's the motherboards fault, it's got to be a disconnected part of the lazer to the motherboard/faulty connector. or a lightly screwed in lazer part.

how are you fitting the lazer? if you're trying to fit it by just taking the UMD Door cover off alone, then you probably are doing it all wrong. it involves dismantling the entire console. Im sure that probably isn't the case though... is it?

5. AR15Doug

AR15Doug Member

The original UMD drive did the very same thing and that is why I suspected the UMD drive being at fault. I took the psp apart to install the new UMD drive. I got the psp used, so there's no telling what happened to it before I got it.

Is there any drivers or other software that needs to be loaded for the UMD drive to work correctly? The motor does spin and the laser moves side to side and forward and back, but I don't see the red light for the laser being on.

6. staxx

staxx Regular member

7. AR15Doug

AR15Doug Member

Thanks for the link to that page. I took the psp apart and the laser/umd ribbons are connected like they should be.

I don't have a red light coming from the laser, but the motor works and the laser moves back and forth and up and down. I plugged in the old laser assembly and it does the same exact thing.

Is it time for a new motherboard? I'm assuming that the circuit for the laser on the motherboard is dead....Any suggestions ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

8. staxx

staxx Regular member

Yup, if everything from the umd drive seems to be working like it should be and you've got the cash to shell out then i would replace the motherboard. I've never really been able to see the laser on both of my working psp's so if everything else seems in order then i'd say the umd drive is in perfect working condition.

If you need a disassembly tutorial for the whole psp, theres one available on that site as well. It'll aid for your motherboard swapping.

9. AR15Doug

AR15Doug Member

As far as motherboards go, which one should I get a TA-79 with 1.50 firmware, or a TA-086 board?

Thanks,
    Doug

10. staxx

staxx Regular member

whichever one you want, i do suggest the one with 1.50 firmware tho so you wont have to worry about downgrading.